When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

ETA recycling

highoeyazmuhudee

with the rising costs of the 2836 ETA movement is there any reason to NOT extract one from a vintage model off the bay and install it into our reps?

for example a $10 TISSOT with a 2836 vs a $150 for a brand new one... seller says movement is immaculate

http://cgi.ebay.ca/GENUINE-VINTAGE-TlSSOT-...1QQcmdZViewItem

Take into account the cost of servicing the movement (which is likely to be necessary) and you're coming up on the price of what that $150 movement would have cost anyways. That's also considering that the movement is in decent working order as-is with no need to replace parts, etc.

However, if you're buying the 'brand new' movement from a parts house like Ofrei, then you need to be aware that in many cases, these aren't exactly new movements either...

with the rising costs of the 2836 ETA movement is there any reason to NOT extract one from a vintage model off the bay and install it into our reps?

for example a $10 TISSOT with a 2836 vs a $150 for a brand new one... seller says movement is immaculate

http://cgi.ebay.ca/GENUINE-VINTAGE-TlSSOT-...1QQcmdZViewItem

I'm about 50/50 on this one, but if you are looking to learn it may be a cheaper way to do so than buying a cheaper movement rep. Just my 2 cents.

As Ubi stated. You must take into account the cost of servicing, and repair if necessary. Not to mention the time it takes to get the service completed... or repaired if parts need replacing and special ordered. It can take over a month at times to just get one part!

Also, the movements you buy "new" from Ofrei, etc, may not be "new". They are usually bulk movements purchased from clearance houses, wholesalers, etc, and at times require a full service as well.

The only way you will know with 100% confidence that your movement is new and factory fresh, is if you buy one in a sealed vacuum pack, just like the one below.

2892a2sealedzz2.jpg

eta28242sealeddi4.jpg

They are not cheap though! The last 2892-A2 cost me $265.00 and the 2824-2 cost me $165.00. Both sealed.

i assume the dealers dont offer factory fresh ones either, and this being a Tissot movement would have some sort of regulation done to it, where as the dealer ones wouldnt... does any one have experience with a transplanted movement from a commercial watch?

A few years back, I picked up a watch on eBay for $5.00 + $5.00 shipping. It was a bit beat up, no strap, missing the crown. I only wanted it to salvage some parts as I figured the movement was toast. Inside was a 2846, looking very clean and in great shape. I replaced the stem, wound it up and it was fine. It is still running strong today.

I guess it is the luck of the draw.

I also bought a Raymond Weil watch to salvage the 2892-A2, it was running, but not running well, even after a service and cleaning.