When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

...closed factory watches?

tick123

In my few weeks of browsing the RWG boards for as much info on reps as I can possibly find, I stumbled across one tidbit of info that kept popping up without an explanation as to what it was (as far as i have searched)

what the hell are closed factory watches and why are they so sought after??

what the hell are closed factory watches and why are they so sought after??

They were reps ahead of their times.....

The consisted of several seamasters - Bond, Bond 40th Anniversary, 2254 & Electric blue models. There were different versions, such as "true" 2892 ETA movements" and then versions with the correct HE valve, better pearls & CGs, great dial details, etc. Sadly, the factory was shut-down/closed - dont know the exact reason, but pretty much for obvious reasons.

Theres talk about "updated" Seamasters coming out, but who really knows? As long as I have been in this hobby, we are promised the so-called Ultimate or true 1:1 reps only to be somewhat disappointed with the results.

However, I will concur that the Breitling models that just came out are really kick-ass super - reps. If they can use the same initiatives with Omeags, they will make many many many, and many more, members very very happy :)

Basically if you get a shot at say a closed factory Electric Blue, and it means you not eating for a few days.....well you'll have a kick ass watch to look at while your stomach grumbles.

Even though I was able to get an Electric Blue Closed Factory, I really really like the 2254 version better. Would ya beleive I parted ways with not 1, but 2 closed factory watches ? WTF was I thinking ?!?!? But to my defense, I was a noob on this board when I sold them. I didnt know better :( But now I do :)

one thing I dont get...why is it so hard for the factories to make these reps even better? I mean they already have the technology...why not really buckle down and make a near perfect 1:1 rep? theyd sell a crapload of watches...but maybe its because the demand for super reps is not as big as we think? maybe this forum is just a very small percentage of the market for reps, and the majority of the consumers have no clue/dont give a crap about the details that we at RWG stress over?

I think that the lack of susequent versions of this particular watch is more a function of factory or dealer concerns over demand and pricing. Factories have made subsequent wonderful Omega reps including the PO's. They were the new it watch and with a gen price in the $3,000 price range they could demand better prices. How much can you charge for a rep of a watch that is readily available for well under $2,000. Many of the older Omega Seamasters sell closer to $1,000.