When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Like a gen?

Anakin14

Has there been a recent gen of the SMP that's had no chrome accent around the lume's? I know current SMPs do and my rep doesn't. If not, I think I'll buy a new gen dial and replace this one. Any suggestions where I can buy a gen dial for this watch??

Here's a picture of my rep, sans chrome accents.

DSC_1824-1.jpg

Thanks so much everyone for the help. So, if I understand correctly, older SMPs had white paint around the lumes, which mine certainly has. Therefore, it is "authentic". I must say, the dial on this rep looks spot on. I held it up to a gen and even the waves are perfect.

One other question, does the back look like a gen's back? I doesn't look close to any gen's back that I've ever seen. Thanks again!

DSC02127.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
I'm not 100% sure about the back, but i do believe it is accurate minus a complicated engraving of a globe with the omega symbol that the reps don't bother recreating, and there is also a serial number laser etched into one of the lugs.

You're partially right, fauxlex: The engraved globe was a later introduction, but they weren't too bothered about fitting them. Consequently, they used a lot of their existing stock case-backs even as globe versions were produced. Some non-globe adorned SMP's are newer than their etched brethren.

When I shopped for a new-old-stock 2531, it was a must-have feature for me (and I scored a few months ago)!

*The sea monster on mine is 'smooth-topped' and shiny, as opposed to rough like the close-up shot of yours, Anakin.

The "seamonster" at the caseback is not a monster... According to Omega, it is actually a Sea Horse... Go figure..

Anyway, abt the lumes on the dial, the previous regular Seamaster Bond ref 2531.80 did not have the steel rims but instead had the white borders around it. I actually prefer it without the steel rims. But note that the gen Seamaster 007 edition 2537.80 had steel rims around the lumes on the dial, similar to the newer co-axial Seamasters.. Other than my regular SMP rep, I also have the rep Seamaster 007 edition, indeed, that one has steel rims around the lumes while the regular SMP does not.. I prefer the lumes on the regular SMP without the steel..

Edited by imranbecks

I have seen a rep with the engraved globe and omega symbol offered, I believe Silix had it on his 007. Only one of my gens has it. I always prefer to look for the red dot to ensure a real unmolested watch.

I'd like to see that rep version of globe etching. Any shots?