When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

1:1 vintage explorer I - The Perfect Rep?

mattykwin

According to andrew's description, he's got a 1:1 vintage explorer I replication:

http://www.tt88time.com/index.php?main_pag...cd0ef3bac7e4634

Could this be the PERFECT REP? THe non-vintage model was off because of the crown and the etching. (see: http://www.repgeek.com/showthread.php?t=24...ht=Seadweller4K)

But the vintage doesn't have etching and the crown seems better proportioned.

gen:

explorermap2.jpg

explorermap1.jpg

rep:

ROLVIN001_1.JPG

ROLVIN001_2.JPG

Yes, I've built one. The gen 1016 case is impossible to find. I went with a genuine 16200 case. The tropic 22 fits no problem, but the smooth bezel needs a bit of modification. Also, the lug holes need to be drilled for 2mm springbars. I went with the 16200 case as it was as close to a gen 1016 as I could get. The caseback gasket is the same set up. 16000 and 1601 casebacks are different. The one difference is the crown. They are both 6mm crowns, but the 16200 tube is a 5.3mm and the 1016 is 6mm. You can only tell the difference when the crown is out.

For a movement, a had to create a hybrid. I wanted a slow beat to simulate the 1570 and the 2846 is too thick to fit the 16200 case, so a hybrid was built. A thinner mainplate from a 2801 fitted with the 2846 balance set up.

Hands and dial were rep. relumed by The Zigmeister.

Bracelet was a folded 7836.

Not cheap, but I wanted it to be as authentic as possible. I'd love to see the rep 1016 case though.

Yes, now that you mention it, Trusty's is fitted with a 2836-2, so the beat rate is wrong, and also the case will not be a true 1:1.

The gen is fitted with a 1570, minus the date module, making it a thinner movement. So if the case was a true 1:1, you would not be able to fit a thicker 2836-2. Small details and probably won't make that much of a difference to most.

For $218, probably not a bad rep.

Here's a link to the 1016 I built. Franken 1016 The bracelet was later replaced with a folded 7836 which is more accurate for the dial.