When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Ubi's franken explorer

pollux1

After seeing pics of Ubi's franken explorer, which is just superb, does the WM9 or MBK even come close? I ask because I have no idea where to purchase the case etc to have one built, and lastly would an ETA 2836-2 be a suitable movement for this watch if I was to go the franken route? Please give your opinions guys!

pollux,

The franken 14270 EXPI is a great piece to build. Reasonably priced and very easy to achieve near gen results.

I used a genuine 16200 DJ case with smooth bezel; I had originally obtained my case from eBay, though there are a number of other sources to pick these up.

IMG_2826.jpg

Dial used was gen:

IMG_2867.jpg

And for the movement, you'll need either a 2824, or a 2892 with a stilty spacer:

IMG_2883.jpg

(unfortunately, mine was built w/o spacer)

A 2836-2 will not fit the gen cases for 3135 movements, as it's simply too tall; the stem will not line up center in the tube, so it's not a candidate for this reason alone.

Hope this helps!

IMG_3152.jpg

Cheers,

R

Do you still have the watch... and did you ever finish this project?

If you did, would love to see some additional pics.

I've always loved the ExpI and yours looks fantastic! :wub:

BT- I ended up selling it off :) I might look into doing another at some point, but for now, I'm holding steady with 6 watches in the collection; more than enough for me for now...

ubiquitous, do you have a source or ETA 2892-2, they are really hard to come buy?

How about the different grades from ETA, the Standard, Elabore, Top and Chronometer?

2892's aren't difficult to source. Just a little more pricey than the standard 2836-2 or 2824-2.

ubiquitous, do you have a source or ETA 2892-2, they are really hard to come buy?

How about the different grades from ETA, the Standard, Elabore, Top and Chronometer?

As Ubi stated, they are all easy to source. They are just getting expensive.

As far as the grades, Those are only available from ETA if you are buying 500+, then you can order what ever grade you want, with what ever finish you want. You can get lucky sometimes if you buy bulk or surplus movements from a supply house. But if you are just buying a single, new, sealed movement from ETA, you will only get Standard.