When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

So I screwed up on the first repair that I ever attempted.....

woody

so I tried repairing my friend's noobmariner since the white marker fell off the 12 o'clock slot; I've never done any repairs before, but I figured if I was able to open the caseback and remove the movement out of the case, I might have a shot. I have pretty good success, in removing the movement back and glue the white marker back and put everything back in place. Since the noobmariner was also running at 2 minutes slower per 24 hour, I finally realized that what it appeared to be a DG2813 also have a regulator. I move the lever quite drastically last night; and when I checked the time today, it was way, way off at +10 minutes already, and here is where the story comes in.........

I opened the case again and tried to adjust the lever counter clockwise again to slow it down, but I was using the screwdriver carelessly, and while I was adjusting it, I dipped the screwdriver slightly too deep, and poked the "mainspring" or "hairspring" (excuse my noob watchsmith talk here) and saw the movement stopped momentarily, I touched it ever slightly and it started moving again. I closed the watch back, but soon after that the movement stopped. I took the caseback out and took a closer look, and saw the the spring which would be perfectly wound in a nice swirled pattern was messed up by the screwdriver overall, and part of the tiny spring is completely out of shape, and the watch is just not moving all that much now.

So my question now, is this; is the DG2813 a complete goner? anything that I can do to save the movement? or is it a lost cause? would we have to get another movement if I really want to fix this? since what I consider to be a guess a routine fix, and I screwed it up, I have no confidence at all on swapping it out for another movement, so my main question would still be is there anyway, or an easy way to fix what I messed up on? any recommendations are welcome as always. thanks for reading this long story. Happy upcoming week fellas, and ladies..........

Hi Woody,

It looks like you messed up the hairspring, so only the hairspring and eventually the complete balance should be replaced (or repaired).

But if you don't have the experience and the right tools, you shouldn't try this yourself, especially if it isn't your own watch...

Any (independent) watchmaker should be able to help you. (If in doubt he is rep-friendly, take the movement out of the case, remove the hands and dial and ask for repair).

I see you live in the US, so eventually replacing the movement shouldn't be a problem.

The movement you are looking for can be purchased here:

http://www.ofrei.com/page1119.html

Hope this can help you..

Best regards,

Lewis.

Edited by lewis123

At cousinsuk the DG 2813 and 4813 are even cheaper (4.95 and 11.95 GBP). And placing an order is easier.

At that price(s), replacing the spring is nonsense.

I suppose you already know this great tutorial by ajosmith on how to install a 4813 into a sub.

hey guys, what kind of tools would one need if I was to go down the route to swap the movement. I assume hand removal tool, and what other tools? I tried searching for tutorials, but I did not have any luck on finding it. maybe my search string was not very well thought out. I think I tried movement swap, and other terms like DG2813, but was not able to find any. I did run across the ajoesmith article last week, but since I can't view the pictures either, I kind of just gave up. and part of my big no no was not I was trying to adjust the regulator on the DG2813 while the movement is still running! a noob mistake, to be sure, now that I have time to reflect back. my friend is about to give up the watch and said to me that if I can't fix it, he'll chalk it up, and I may just sell the parts to recoup some money back for him. just how hard/easy would a movement swap be? and is a loupe needed for this kind of thing? I've been trying everything with my naked 4 eyes, (and my moustache of course) and at times it was kind of difficult to see........haha

I saved the full ajoesmith's post, pics included. I have it available as a zip file.

But it is 40 Mb, while the max allowed size for attachements here is 2 Mb.

I can send it via email.

If anyone is interested, email me (or PM me your email address if you do not yet know my email) and I'll send you it.

It is saved with firefox -- unsure it will work with IE. But the pics are all there as jpg files: so, even if you cannot open it as a htm page, you can have a good look at the pics anyway.

Thanks A.W.B and surfer with both your suggestions/recommendations. Surfer, if you can send me an email to watchguy1860 at gmail, I would greatly appreciate it. and AWB, I will certainly give that a try, there is no harm to try it on a dead movement right? ;)

Surfer, if you can send me an email to watchguy1860 at gmail, I would greatly appreciate it.

Sent.

Should it prove too large for you to get it, lmk and tell me the max size you can get in a single email. I can also send it splitted in several .rar volumes on several emails.

I got a reply that the attachement was rejected as illegal -- size, surely.

I'll try to use a file hosting site, and I'll give you advice and address as soon as I'll have it done.