When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Help A Noob Pick Out His First Rep!

joshmv

My eyes are about toast from reading so much the last couple days, but I'm feeling much more comfortable picking out the finalists for my first rep.

My biggest worry though is that I feel like I have small wrists, and I know I have fairly small hands even though I'm about 5'11, 190lbs. I put a string around my wrist fairly tight and it measured out to be about ~6.5-6.75", which I know isn't terribly small, but I'd hate to get something that just looks silly.

I'm really looking for one watch with a bracelet, and then another watch which I can use straps on. For the bracelet watch, I'm thinking about this Tag, or one similar:

http://www.joshwatch.com/tg10013-link-chro...aph-p-1075.html

I would probably order that one first just to see what I think of a 42mm, and then if it was ok I really love the 44mm PAM's. Any of them to be honest, I just love the classy, simple look, so I'm REALLY hoping I can pull it off. Maybe a stupid question, but is there smaller versions of the PAM's?

The picture that really inspired me to look into them was the Davidsen PAM without any markings, and then the Red12 strap. Beautiful.

Anyways, what do you guys think, are these good choices? Should I start off with something smaller like a Franck Muller?

I may go to a shop and try on some different sizes, but from reading it really seems like different watches "wear" differently. I could be wrong though :huh:

Thanks so much for the help in advance!

Josh

G'day Josh,

Welcome to the wonderful world of reps and sending yourself crazy over what to buy. I'm a newbie also and have jump started my collection with a Tag Carrera Racing w/ A7750. Its a beautiful watch and i'm over the moon with it. I selected a Tag to begin with as i'm 26 and Tag seems to suit my age bracket... i've also wanted a Tag for a while ;). But i must say i reckon that you cant go wrong with either the Link Chrono or Carrera. Both are gems... i'm my eyes :rolleyes:

i would recommend going to your local Watch Authorized Dealer/Retailer and try on everything you like, then reevaluate what rep you want to purchase.

cc

I also totally agree with chinkie above. If you are having difficulties deciding what you want and what will fit your wrist them head into you local AD and try a few on. I have a 7 to 7.5 inch wrist and you'll be surprised at what looks good on your wrist. I was thinking twice about getting the 45mm Omega PO until i tried one on and now i'm 99% commited to pulling the trigger on the sale.

Good luck with it all and remember to take your time... buyer remorse can be terible

Edited by TagMatty

I would echo what the others say go along to a good AD with a big range of stock and see what you like. I didn't like the Radoiomir Panerai from the pictures but when I saw the gen at an AD it immediately became my favorite and I ordered one the same day really thrilled with it.

If you like TAGs I can reccomend the TAG Mercedes Benz SLR not for the purists as its quartz but a stunning looking watch with the best strap I have come across on a rep.

Reps are cheap. Just buy everything that catches your eye. :D

Once he buys his first one...it's going to end up that way anyways. Hah. Welcome aboard and have fun.

A senior member here has written a lot about his Tag's. Check out LordRasta's pics of his limited edition Senna Link Chrono...NICE:

Tsp_165069.jpg

The Tag Carrera is a great watch as well...a bit smaller due to the rubber strap, and a definite "sportier" look so likely not the best choice for an "all 'rounder".

Check out By-Tor's shopping guide to Tag Reps as well.

You could also look into the Omega SMP Chrono...awesome rep and suitable for both dress and casual sporty wear.

I would avoid the Franck Muller's until you get some other basic "starter" pieces in your collection first. They are fun watches...but more as "add-on" pieces than a first piece.

Like others have said...get down to an AD and try things on to see what works for you. I have 6.5" wrists but have reasonably muscular arms, so the wrists don't appear that skinny and have no problems wearing 44mm. 42mm is a good size for a leaner dressier piece that may fit better under shirt cuffs.

You guys are a ton of help. I will hopefully be able to make it down to an AD either today or tomorrow.

Toadtorrent, I agree with you that I could probably pull off a large watch under a shirt cuff much easier, which would be about 50% of the time for me.

Out of curiosity, what are some of the most popular watches under 40mm that I might look at for my time in short sleeves?

Thanks again everybody,

Josh

Thanks for the suggestions Noel, I will check those out. I'm not a big Rolex fan but I definitely want to see the 40mm pam and the omega.

The only problem with going to the nearest PAM AD is that it's about 2 hours away :( I guess I can always just go try on a 40-44mm watch with some other brand, but I dont know if it would be the same. Maybe I'll just have to make the trip one of these days.

You guys are a ton of help. I will hopefully be able to make it down to an AD either today or tomorrow.

Toadtorrent, I agree with you that I could probably pull off a large watch under a shirt cuff much easier, which would be about 50% of the time for me.

Out of curiosity, what are some of the most popular watches under 40mm that I might look at for my time in short sleeves?

Thanks again everybody,

Josh

Go to the different brand areas if a particular brand is of interest...or serach for reviews...there are too many to list.

Under 40mm is pretty small in the rep world.

It sounds like you're really starting from ground zero...save yourself some aggravation, and head to an AD...start looking at the different brands and see what you like. If you haven't tried on a gen watch before, you'll have no idea what you'll want in the rep world.

the pam reps look very much like the gen. i have a 40mm gen

pam and a rep 40mm pam chrono. the layout is the same.

believe me- the 40mm is big enough, i have about a 71/2 inch wrist,

but i'm only about 5'7''. i usually won't go bigger than 42mm.

the actual size isn't everything- some watches wear bigger than others.

for example- i got the new Tag Grand Carrera and its 43mm but seems like 50!

on the other hand- i have an explorer2 thats 40mm but seems like 37.

for example- i got the new Tag Grand Carrera and its 43mm but seems like 50!

It's funny you say that because one of the reasons the size started to scare me so much was after seeing a picture of a TAG Grand Carrera that was supposed to be about the same size as the Link TAG I linked above, but it looked HUGE on the guys arm.

I was planning to go through Josh for my PAM, but as far as I can see he only has 1 40mm listed, and it's not one I'm interested in. I messaged him to see if he would have any coming in soon, but if not, does anybody have a helpful hint on a reputable dealer to go through that has a good selection of them I could take a look at?

you might have seen the pix i posted of the grand carrera!

it is a monster but i've gotten used to it. i even bought a hublot which is very big but again

doesn't wear quite as large. i have the same problem with the omega po- i wanted the 42mm not the 45mm.

i ended up ordering a gen because the rep of the smaller one is not as good as the large size.

post-12024-1222127533_thumb.jpg

Edited by Noel Fleischer

you might have seen the pix i posted of the grand carrera!

it is a monster but i've gotten used to it. i even bought a hublot which is very big but again

doesn't wear quite as large. i have the same problem with the omega po- i wanted the 42mm not the 45mm.

i ended up ordering a gen because the rep of the smaller one is not as good as the large size.

That's exactly the picture I saw actually :)

I went and tried on a couple big watches at a local store and started feeling a little more comfortable with the larger watches. I still think I might go for the 40mm Panerai, but I tried on a watch the exact same size and style as the Tag Link and thought it looked really good. :thumbsupsmileyanim:

Here's a good stupid question for you guys though. Should I really spend the extra coin on a swiss made movement for a PAM, or just stick with the Asian. I'm guessing the swiss is just smoother, and maybe more accurate? Any pro/con lists on whether it's worth an extra ~$80, or should I just put that towards my next rep?

Thanks again,

josh