When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

A7750 Rotor free spinning / winding direction

TagMatty

Hi Guys,

I've been reading through past postings due to a few concerns with regards to my rotor (in my A7750 Tag Carrera) spinning freely (for about 3 - 4 secs) on the horizontal plain. I wanted to double check a couple of things with a few of the more experienced posters to see weather i have a problem or not... Please ^_^

1) The rotor spinning freely in the anti-clockwise direction only is due to the lack of resistance and is nothing to worry about (ie. not the winding mech un-winding... if that makes any sense!!). Is this true??

2) If the rotor is freely spinning in both directions then there is a possible problem with the reversing click (also power reserve becomes a major problem)??

3) lubricating the rotor will only add more resistance and is not affective as a solution??

4) What direction should the rotor spin when winding?? A true newbie question :rolleyes:

Thanks in advance guys.

Cheers,

Matt

Some automatic movements are designed to have the rotor wind in only 1 direction (the other direction is essentially disconnected), while others wind in both directions. Without knowing which movement you have, that is all I can tell you.

Also, what may feel like 'free spinning' may in fact just be a properly lubricated bearing. Unless you open the case & can verify that rotor motion is NOT affecting the auto-wind gears, I am not sure you even have a problem. Some movements tend to have noisy rotors (they are made that way), while others have very 'eager' rotors (the rotor may continue to spin for several revolutions after the watch motion has ceased). An overly noisy rotor may require cleaning/lubrication (with a recommended oil), but only a watchmaker can verify that (I would recommend against using grease to quiet a noisy rotor).

If you have been wearing the watch for more than 48 hours (without manually winding it) & it is keeping time, then the auto-wind is probably functioning correctly.

1) The rotor spinning freely in the anti-clockwise direction only is due to the lack of resistance and is nothing to worry about (ie. not the winding mech un-winding... if that makes any sense!!). Is this true??

True, no problem at all.

2) If the rotor is freely spinning in both directions then there is a possible problem with the reversing click (also power reserve becomes a major problem)??

Yes, POSSIBLE problem with the reversing click. Note, however, that I have this very same issue with my A7750 rotor, yet the reversing click is intact and fully operational. The culprit is the reversing wheel instead.

3) lubricating the rotor will only add more resistance and is not affective as a solution??

Oiling is no solution at all in case you have a broken click and/or defective reversing wheel. On the contrary, improper oiling MAY cause an otherwise perfect reversing wheel to stick to the underlying plate, then you will have a problem.

4) What direction should the rotor spin when winding?? A true newbie question :rolleyes:

The winding occurs when the rotor turns clockwise.

Thanks guys for taking the time to read my post and reply. I read a few more of The Zigmeister's post regarding the 7750 movement. I was a little worried after i woke up one moring and my watch wasn't running... i assumed it was due to testing the chrono during the day and heavily reducing the power reserve. The watch has been running fine ever since and holds its power reserve well. I'm still going to take my watch into a watchmaker and have him service it (I've got print outs of some of The Zigmeister's posts for reference) just to make sure that my watch has a good start in life.

Thanks again guys :)