When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Waterproof?

adrenalin

Forgive me if this has been asked before,

How waterproof are most reps (strait off the shelf)?-- In not talking swimming, diving or anything...

Things like washing cars, showers and domestic stuff like (gulp)--dishes.... :huh:

Could you clean the exterior with soap and water? (yeah, I know, keep the crown closed) or would that be ill-advised?

What do you guys do?

Thx,

-K

In my experience, most "simple" reps (IE- Submariners, SFSO) are somewhat safe in this regard... I generally (bare minimum) make sure the caseback is tightened but once I have time I grease the caseback and thread gaskets if present (Rolex for example). I've taken my SFSO and SSD diving with no issues at all (not always recommended ... you never know if the HE valve is faulty, etc - I had them pressure checked) so in my opinion (far from expert) I'd say most anything with a screwdown crown and secure caseback should be fine for domestic stuff / a shower... best thing to do is have the WR checked by a professional.

I would say: in all cases, if your watch has not been verified by a professional watchmaker, stay away from water.

O rings and gaskets and so on must be there but also must be installed correctly.

I've received OTB watches that didn't even stand a wash with a wet tooth brush and the crystal immediately went foggy :shock:

Only a true professional watchmaker can give you the garantee you can swim with your watch.

And I say swim, not scuba dive!

My nephew recently fucked his Tissot.

If the Swatch group cannot garantee a safe swim, how would our china factories do it?

My2Cents

Cheers

Stephane

I'd say most anything with a screwdown crown and secure caseback should be fine for domestic stuff / a shower... best thing to do is have the WR checked by a professional.

I can add my experience here:

I went scuba diving with my DSN 11h at 15m (50 ft) depth . Twice.. Everything went find.. But you have to pressure test it b4 ..

I agree with Stephane and Lazz.

Even if you have paid for getting your watch waterproofed stil get it checked at your local watchsmith.

My noob mariner from Neill was 100% waterproof when it came out of the box ( case back was tightend )

My MBW which cam back form a modder was also 100% waterproof.

Carpe Diem

Cats

I always have my watches tested by a local guy who does pressure testing for me. Typically, since I mod my pieces, I've never tested out of the box; since I usually crack the cases open and replace crystals, crowns and tubes and the sort, I always wait until after I've completed my work to pressure test. So far, so good.

For the long term keepers, I usually get those tested once a year. It's cheap to do, and is good peace of mind since I tend to do everything with a watch on these days.