When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Iwc Gst Advice...

rmcsherry

This probably doesn't warrant a new thread, but I couldn't find the answer using the search. I've just got a IWC GST Ti from thomasng, who delivered it very quickly and is a great guy to deal with. Cosmetically, it's perfect - he was selling it at a reduced rate because the chronos don't work; it seems this is a common problem with A7750's - is there a simple fix, or would the movement need to be replaced / overhauled in order to get it working? The rotor seems well balanced (and heavy!), when I move my wrist you can feel / hear it moving for about 5 seconds, it's bizaar (I've had autos in the past, but this is my first 7750).

If anyone knows how to change the day, could you let me know - I've tried pulling the crown out different amounts, but it only seems to change the date / time. The last thing is the crown feels very loose when it's unscrewed, I know this is also a fairly common problem with GST's, but are there any ways to tighten it up at all? I'll probably get it serviced sooner or later, but I wondered if there are any 'quick fixes' in the mean time?

Cheers.

Date, one way. Day, the other.

Simple, huh? :D

I had a feeling you'd be the first to reply. Thanks for that, it's certainly easier than hand winding through 72 hours! I assume the chrono problem is no easy fix, hence why there aren't any 'stickys' suggeting remidies. Oh well, it's still an amazing watch.

How is it best to wind it? I simply unscrewed the crown, and turned it about 40 times in an anti-clockwise direction - yet this doesn't seem to be working; it keeps stopping. Any ideas?

Clockwise to wind it, then wear it for a few hours.

Clockwise to wind it, then wear it for a few hours.

Thanks. Excuse my ignorance, I'm obviously having a stupid day. I was slightly put off by the rubbery squeaking when I turn it clockwise, I assumed I must have been doing something wrong (I guess it needs some oil and a service!) I take it the 7750 has a function to prevent you from overwinding it?

I had exactly the same thought.

Jos warned not to change the day and date when your watch time is between 10:00 to 3:00. Something likes the internal wheels are too close together and they could touch each other.

To avoid the problem, turn the time to 4:30 then change day/ date. After that you can adjust the watch to correct time.

Other points are do not play with the chronograph too often and have the movement serviced within the first 6 months.

BTW, the GST is automatic movement. You just give it some wristtime will be sufficient.

Hope that it helps. :D

Edited by nxuan

Other points are do not play with the chronograph too often and have the movement serviced within the first 6 months.

He did mention that the chrono was already broken. :D

A full service could repair the chrono, to be honest, but at $175 could take the entire cost to $300. If the watch was bought as a pretty timepiece as opposed to a chrono, then a service may not be worth it.

He did mention that the chrono was already broken. :D

A full service could repair the chrono, to be honest, but at $175 could take the entire cost to $300. If the watch was bought as a pretty timepiece as opposed to a chrono, then a service may not be worth it.

Hi Pugwash,

I admire your photos. You actually are responsible for my GST acquisition.

The chrono thing was a suggestion from Jos. Perhaps, it will be helpful for other owners.

Servicing the watch is not just to fix chrono but to give it longer service life and accuracy. The movement did not get any proper treatment prior to leaving factory. So, the parts will wear off pretty quick.

I forget what problem Admin said this watch had.

On my GST, one of the pushers became jammed after I had had the watch a couple of weeks. Because of that problem, and a perpetually loose pusher button, I decided to take it into a local shop. In addition to fixing these small problems, I also asked him to assess the general condition (including cleanliness and lubrication) of the watch. Afterward he told me the movement was in good condition and required no additional service at this time. This minor service cost me ab. $45.

Servicing the watch is not just to fix chrono but to give it longer service life and accuracy. The movement did not get any proper treatment prior to leaving factory. So, the parts will wear off pretty quick.

As I type, my GST is in Canada with The Zigmeister. I believe in a service myself. :D

I value my GST too much to not want it to last 5 years, and if it doesn't get a service, I doubt it'd last a year, as I use the chronos.

Although, having said that, today's cooking was timed by my MoonWatch, which requires no service.

As I type, my GST is in Canada with The Zigmeister. I believe in a service myself. :D

I value my GST too much to not want it to last 5 years, and if it doesn't get a service, I doubt it'd last a year, as I use the chronos.

Although, having said that, today's cooking was timed by my MoonWatch, which requires no service.

What have you cooked up for us?

What have you cooked up for us?

Far be it for me to hijack this IWC thread with cookery, but Mrs Pugwash discovered a book of curry-house secrets. One eBay purchase and supermarket visit later and we have all the ingredients and recipes for British-style Indian Restaurant food.

Today was spent making the stages of the base, and in huge quantities. Tonight's dinner is King Prawn Tikka Masala, Fish Korma, Potato, Cauliflower and Pea Curry and Prawn Curry, all in the style of a decent curry house. It's totally amazing and I just got the Stella in to serve as drinks.

To follow it up, we're off up the hill at the end of the road to watch the French set off piles of explosives at the Eiffel Tower to celebrate Bastille Day.

All is well chez Pugwash.

If the food isnt hot enough I stick 12-15 chillies in there :thumbsupsmileyanim:

Mrs Pugwash is from Glasgow: They understand spicy just fine there. The Korma (mild dish), for instance, was beyond what the French call spicy. We like spicy food and have no fear of turning up the heat.