When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

The Cocos/Keeling Islands

jkerouac

Have you wondered about our new Web address, http://www.rwg.cc, and what the *.cc top-level Internet domain stands for?

This inquiring mind wanted to know, and I discovered that it is the top-level domain identifier for the Cocos/Keeling Islands. Granted, I don't get out much, so I have to admit that I had never heard of the Cocos/Keeling Islands.

OK, so here is the scoop, for the rest of you who also had never heard of them. The Cocos are a group of 27 islands in the Indian Ocean, southwest of Indonesia, about halfway from Australia to Sri Lanka.

Captain William KEELING discovered the islands in 1609, but they remained uninhabited until the 19th century. Annexed by the UK in 1857, they were transferred to the Australian Government in 1955.

The population on the two inhabited islands generally is split between the ethnic Europeans on West Island and the ethnic Malays on Home Island.

About 14 sq km., (ab. 24 times the size of the Mall in Washington, DC) with a population of 628 and a 5 person police force.

5528-6197.gif

Looks like just the spot for the first international convention of RWGers.

Weell now Ron, that's not all that accurate........

There are 27 coral islands in the group. Captain William KEELING discovered the islands in 1609, but they remained uninhabited until the 19th century. Annexed by the UK in 1857, they were transferred to the Australian Government in 1955. The population on the two inhabited islands generally is split between the ethnic Europeans on West Island and the ethnic Malays on Home Island.

Ken :)

Fair enough, just FYI it was also the holding point for the boat people before being processed and passed on to mainland Australia.

But there are a lot of Australians who don't even know this. :)

Ken