When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

SSD v2.0

kuiksilver

Hi Lads and Ladettes,

I am a proud owner of the SSD V2.0 unmodded.

The watch keeps great time and I am really happy with it...

BUT the insert started to gets some scratches because it sits a bit above the edge of the bezel... which is a common problem on the rep sports rollies... not even mentionning the pearl which is near to a "dot" rather than a "pearl"... on which the lume is... HORRENDOUS.

The dial's lume is yuk as the hands...

So I am going to order a insert/pearl at Watchmaterials... is it the one for the seadweller which fits or the submariner? How is the lume on the pearl from Watchmaterials?

Ok now the lume for the hands and the dial? What is the option offered to me? I live in the UK and I have heard that you could get it relumed... or replace the dial and hands... What are the options offered to me to make this SSD looks beautiful than it already is???

Thanks ofr the inputs, I appreciate !

Hi,

I'm in the same boat ... just received mine from PT and lume is really bad :-I

Hi Lads and Ladettes,

I am a proud owner of the SSD V2.0 unmodded.

The watch keeps great time and I am really happy with it...

BUT the insert started to gets some scratches because it sits a bit above the edge of the bezel... which is a common problem on the rep sports rollies... not even mentionning the pearl which is near to a "dot" rather than a "pearl"... on which the lume is... HORRENDOUS.

The dial's lume is yuk as the hands...

So I am going to order a insert/pearl at Watchmaterials... is it the one for the seadweller which fits or the submariner? How is the lume on the pearl from Watchmaterials?

Ok now the lume for the hands and the dial? What is the option offered to me? I live in the UK and I have heard that you could get it relumed... or replace the dial and hands... What are the options offered to me to make this SSD looks beautiful than it already is???

Thanks ofr the inputs, I appreciate !

sorry to say that by i think you may have to get used to it....

Bad lume is the standard with modern rlx reps...

The only thing you can do with the dial is replace it with a gen one... If u find one.. And if you do, the cost will be sky high

im2 is right... none of the Rolex modern reps come with good lume, some have a bit better some then again worse but still nothing compared to gen.

Here is my Gen. EXP II lume shoot for reference. (No photo shop, no extra settings, lume was charged on a normal day light)

DSC02655.jpg

Laz

My GMT II ceramic has very acceptable lume for example... it's still readable at morning

im2 is right... none of the Rolex modern reps come with good lume, some have a bit better some then again worse but still nothing compared to gen.

Here is my Gen. EXP II lume shoot for reference. (No photo shop, no extra settings, lume was charged on a normal day light)

DSC02655.jpg

Laz

I bought the bezel insert from Watchmaterial. The reference is 315-16660-1. It perfectly fitted in below the lip of the bezel, with no need of glueing or modding.

Great! This could be EXACTLY what I have been looking for.

So far I have held back on getting an SSDV2 because of the bezel insert/ bezel height issues. Are you saying that the bezel insert you got sits lower in the bezel? How does the pearl compare to the one originally on the rep?

I bought the bezel insert from Watchmaterial. The reference is 315-16660-1. It perfectly fitted in below the lip of the bezel, with no need of glueing or modding.

Thanks Mate!

I will go straight ahead to order it!.. BUT how is the lume of the pearl?

Now... the Relume... is it a difficult process or so difficult that it may be better to get it done by someone?

Cheers guys !

Thanks Mate!

I will go straight ahead to order it!.. BUT how is the lume of the pearl?

Now... the Relume... is it a difficult process or so difficult that it may be better to get it done by someone?

Cheers guys !

The lume of the pearl is very good; besides, the peal is made of sapphire as for gen; great improvement for the watch IMHO.

Regarding the relume, is absolutely out of my reach

Cheers

I just spent over $4k on a pre-owned Sea-Dweller and the lume is not much better than the reps...My gen Oris glowed like a torch...just like my SL 112, 188, & 210...all lumed by resident modders on the forums. Love my Sea-Dweller but the lume on the gen Rolex watches is pretty poor.

I believe you are mistaken.

Sapphire is what the crystal is made out of. Pink sapphire to be exact.

The "pearl" on the sea-dweller and submariner is made with super-luminova. The watch material pearl doesnt come close BTW to a real SL lume.

If you want "gen" lume, your best bet is to get someone to relume it.

-Shawn

The lume of the pearl is very good; besides, the peal is made of sapphire as for gen; great improvement for the watch IMHO.

Regarding the relume, is absolutely out of my reach

Cheers

I believe you are mistaken.

Sapphire is what the crystal is made out of. Pink sapphire to be exact.

The "pearl" on the sea-dweller and submariner is made with super-luminova. The watch material pearl doesnt come close BTW to a real SL lume.

If you want "gen" lume, your best bet is to get someone to relume it.

-Shawn

Shawn, thanks for the clarification.

As far as I know, "super luminova" is a class of fluorescent pigments developed by RC TRITEC and Nemoto Ltd. They can be spreaded on some parts in order to make them photoluminescent. Rolex uses them on the hour markers, on the hands and on the pearl. The pearl itself can be made of plastic (the cheaper ones) or other materials. Watchmaterial sells pearls made of sapphire, as was reported on the website (http://www.watchmaterial.com/viewitem.asp?idProduct=1801), filled with pigments that aren't Super-Luminova. The gen pearls are made of sapphire filled with SuperLuminova. I was referring to the pearl itself, not to the pigments: I meant that tha material of the pearl is the same as the gen one; not so for the pigments.

Please, correct me if I am wrong.

Kind regards

Involt,

My sincerest apologies. You are correct. I myself learned something today. I was not aware that the pearl was coated in sapphire. Interesting ;).

I think between the two of us ken should know what to do!

-Shawn

Shawn, thanks for the clarification.

As far as I know, "super luminova" is a class of fluorescent pigments developed by RC TRITEC and Nemoto Ltd. They can be spreaded on some parts in order to make them photoluminescent. Rolex uses them on the hour markers, on the hands and on the pearl. The pearl itself can be made of plastic (the cheaper ones) or other materials. Watchmaterial sells pearls made of sapphire, as was reported on the website (http://www.watchmaterial.com/viewitem.asp?idProduct=1801), filled with pigments that aren't Super-Luminova. The gen pearls are made of sapphire filled with SuperLuminova. I was referring to the pearl itself, not to the pigments: I meant that tha material of the pearl is the same as the gen one; not so for the pigments.

Please, correct me if I am wrong.

Kind regards

Involt,

My sincerest apologies. You are correct. I myself learned something today. I was not aware that the pearl was coated in sapphire. Interesting ;).

I think between the two of us ken should know what to do!

-Shawn

Shawn,

we all learn discussing and comparing notes. Thanks again.

Kind regards.

involt

Relume by everestwatchworks is quite affordable if you want believable lume.

MG

MG,

thanks for your suggestion.

The site (of which I didn't know the existence) is really interesting, and I'll likely apply to them for an eventual reluming.

It might be considered for a possibly reluming of a (good) DeepSea too.

However I was referring to a reluming done by myself, that is beyond my technical capabilities.

Thanks again

Involt