When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Is Swiss Or China Eta

i just bring my pam 188 with 7753 for changing the hand...

my friend is a watchman he own is jewelery in canada and he told me something i dont understand

he say my 7753 is not a real swiss factory eta... yes is a eta but made in chine under the spec of eta...

he said the finish is poor compare to a real swiss eta and the price is not the same too..

here in canada you can buy at perrin a china eta 7753 for 400 canadian or a real swiss for 960 (cost) not retail

but he show me a real 7750 but swiss and yes my friend big big difference on the finish...:o((((((

just my 2cent

eric

and by the way i send my crystal from my 187 to carl zeiss manufacture for blueish A/R coating

cheer

eric :yu:

From what I understand, the swiss movements are still assembled in china, but using swiss parts, but the Asian movements are copies of the swiss parts?

I would imagine that genuine swiss movements would be made and built by Swiss, and would fetch alot more.

he say my 7753 is not a real swiss factory eta... yes is a eta but made in chine under the spec of eta...

he said the finish is poor compare to a real swiss eta and the price is not the same too..

I think he might be misleading you or is quite genuine but labouring under a false impression. This is my understanding (I'm no authority, but I've read around - so someone with a keener knowledge may be able to correct this):

All common ETA's are manufactured in China - they then go to Switzerland to be 'finished', at least one tiny little bit in the manufacturing process is left to be done in Switzerland. This way they can be called 'Swiss made'. To confuse matters further, of course many manufacturers like Omega add their own work to the ETAs.

I think when we buy a rep ETA movement it is the same ETA that gets sent to Switzerland - it's the real deal, except that one tiny step is not done to the sound of cuckoo clocks. In terms of the movement, they are the same.

However, in a rep, the way that movement is treated as it is placed in the watch will not be as pristine as in a Swiss factory. But the movement itself is not the problem here, it would be as true with the Swiss finished version.

To further confuse the issue there are Asian copies of ETA movements - but these would not be called an ETA, and would not cost these amounts.

As I said, others may be able to expand, or refute parts of this, but it's my understanding of the whole ETA deal.

Cheers! :thumbsupsmileyanim:

first the watch pam 188 come from RIVER

and about the question all eta made in china sorry no guy

this eta i have in my watch is a 7753 eta made in china under spec of eta BUT THE QUALITY OF THE FINISH IS POOR REALLY POOR COMPARE OF A REAL MADE IN SWISS but the watch run perfectly no problem at all but its only the conception and finish ....

so if you want a china 7753 here in canada (perrin) the price is approx 400 cnd but for a real swiss made 7751,7750,7753 is approx 960 cost (dealer price)

so you see that the difference

cheer

eric

this eta i have in my watch is a 7753 eta made in china under spec of eta BUT THE QUALITY OF THE FINISH IS POOR REALLY POOR COMPARE OF A REAL MADE IN SWISS but the watch run perfectly no problem at all but its only the conception and finish ....

so if you want a china 7753 here in canada (perrin) the price is approx 400 cnd but for a real swiss made 7751,7750,7753 is approx 960 cost (dealer price)

so you see that the difference

But even the "REAL MADE IN SWISS ETA" was really "made" in China too. ETA makes movements in China - it doesn't intentionally make good ones in Switzerland and crap ones in China as it were. These Swiss ETA movements (made in China) end up in expensive Swiss watches - and the quality is ETA.

Many are 'tarted up' before the market - they look better on the outside. But they're the same deep down - they run the same. The dealer price is always going to be massive, and it's always going to have a massive retail markup surely?

Perhaps your friend has an agenda? He sells gen watches and you show him a rep? :g:

By the way, Ofrei have the totally legitimate 7753 movement for roughly $560 Canadian. :whistling:

7753 Movement

So where does your friend in the trade think the other $400 Canadian is going? More Swiss craftmanship?!

(and Ofrei isn't cheap - retail prices!)

EDIT: I'm trying to say- I think you have a great quality watch!

Edited by cornerstone

By the way, Ofrei have the totally legitimate 7753 movement for roughly $560 Canadian. :whistling:

7753 Movement

So where does your friend in the trade think the other $400 Canadian is going? More Swiss craftmanship?!

(and Ofrei isn't cheap - retail prices!)

ofrei´s valjoux 7750, 7751 and 7753 are cheap finish... i think they are produced in china, too.

i have many valjoux movements bought from eta factory in switzerland

they are different like valjoux movements in replica watches

retail price of valjoux 7753 in good finish cost in switzerland nearly 600-700$

and i think this movements are to expensive for replica watches

The ETA movements on the Ofrei Site are ETA produced in China--virtually all of the Invicta Movements are ETA-China produced!!!! You are 100% correct the finish gives them away--the internal parts, however, are the same. The problem comes in as discussed, supra, in the not 100% sterile environment of the Chinese factories vs the very very stringent Swiss Factory Codes!!!!!

Just my pennies worth - I bought a 7753 from O.Frei last year for $400 and something. It has a plain finish as it is not finished to any "Name" specification but is still of a visibly much higher quality than the asian 7750. Panerai etc will specify a particular finish on the 7753's that they use such as engine turning or Geneve striping and brand name engraving on the rotor and bridges and as far as I am aware that is the only difference. But it is ETA wherever it has been originally made and I think ETA has factories in several different countries!!

Guest Watchandpen
well ETA (Richmond Group) recently announced that they will stop manufacturing in China - I wonder whether it was due to QC problems

I THOUGHT ETA ARE MADE IN CHINA, TAIWAN, THAILAND, MALAYSIA, INDONESIA.... (ALTHOUGH NOT MENTIONED IN THE SWATCH GROUPS PUBLISHED ACCOUNTS). AS SUCH, IT IS INEVITABLE THAT THERE WILL BE QUALITY CONTROL DISPARITIES! INTERESTINGLY I RECENTLY PUT 2 ASIAN ETAs AND 2 "SWISS" ETAs ON A QUAD WATCHWINDER AND THE FORMER OUTPERFORMED IN ACCURACY TERMS, THE SWISS JOBS!! AM I LUCKY OR ARE SWISS ETAs NOT SUPERIOR.....?? :g::(