When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Redundancy?

ubiquitous

Well... Maybe a little.

:)

IMG_6491.jpg

Need to break up the routine a bit. Maybe I'll go with a black kodiak Dirk Logo or something next :)

Seriously... I'm not much of a strap guy... I don't foresee having a huge strap collection... But I do need to add some diversity.

So, throw a Rolex-to-PAM convert a bone here, folks ^_^ What do most of the RWG PAM Alumni consider to be 'quintessential must haves' for these things? If possible, staying in the 24/24, sewn in Logo buckle realm? Or is that too monotonous?

:)

You'll need A Simona Sewn in Curved Buckle, at least one GSD Removable buckles in Both polished and PVD and a cheapie but a goodie the MF 1942 sewn in Flat.

These sholud last you , for a few months , okay weeks, oh alright a week alt least.

ST4

I agree, a nice Simona (vintage hide for me) a Gsd (1st ch) and if you have a sub. Kw shark for it.

Tough question R. Panerai straps are like Ties...a very personal choice and statement.

I think the watch case and dial matter in selecting straps. Of course, any Panerai, regardless of case finish and dial color, looks good with the PAV tan color of your existing straps.

I have a variety of straps and I am a big fan of MP straps...I also love Europelli Shell Cordovan for a dressier look....

Most of the historical straps today come with sewn in buckles so that has to be considered as well. I have tried the SC buckles but find them too bulky. My favorite for comfort are the Simona curved or MP curved Pre-V buckles...

A and B series should be 24/22 with Thumbnail buckles for accuracy if you are concerned with that.

Pre-A and Pre-V go with the Pre-V bottle opener style buckles for accuracy - branded as yours are.

Greg's Crazy Horse I straps are very nice for a casual look and feel...

For PVD, I am currently eying up Greg's Marrone Antico :wub:

marroneslimwallets2td7.jpg

R my friend.. you are asking the impossible question.. There are so many colours, hides and at the moment more than 50 strapmakers out there.. Its a jungle :p

If I could have only ONE strap (wuite difficult to be honest) and nothing else my choice goes to this:

Vintage hide Simona Bruno.. and I had more than 300 straps through my hands the last couple of years..

dsc01464yh3.jpg

dsc01465aw3.jpg

dsc01153er0.jpg

dsc01154kj5.jpg

R my friend.. you are asking the impossible question.. There are so many colours, hides and at the moment more than 50 strapmakers out there.. Its a jungle :p

Exactly! Which is why I come to you guys with these difficult questions :)

Seriously... Being an Oyster bracelet kind of guy, this strap stuff is quite a lot to take in. The last time I dealt with choosing a strap, there were just a few that I really recall-

OEM

Dirk

DON

Banda

APB

Sirtoli

Enzowatches

Woj

MF

Jonathan Ku (strapworks, I think?)

Gabo

The selection available these days just has my head spinning.

Is this simonas site?

http://www.simonastraps.com/index.asp?sezione=19

where are the PreV look a likes or are all look a likes to those straps, seems like it?

i would like to try their straps.

Cheers

Yes it is... but the Bruno strap is not on her website. She had a small piece of leather for few orders. i do not know if she can still make it.

Exactly! Which is why I come to you guys with these difficult questions :)

The selection available these days just has my head spinning.

Well.. go get a Mario Paci strap. Since I see you like Dirk straps they were made in the same place and you will have a big selection of hides/colours.

Leave the truly 'handmade' straps out of the equasion to make your choice easier.

Well.. go get a Mario Paci strap. Since I see you like Dirk straps they were made in the same place and you will have a big selection of hides/colours.

Leave the truly 'handmade' straps out of the equasion to make your choice easier.

I love LOVVVVE Dirk straps!! I think it's mostly because they emulate the Pre-V's... I dunno what it is, but I've always fancied the Dirks!

I'll check out the MP's...

@Dani- Nice snapshot of some of your strap collection! Very diverse and I see you like the Pre-V shaped buckles as well!

I'm by no means the strap collector Victoria was, but I do have quite a varied collection (even if I never actually rotate them much :lol: ) I think dluddy got it bang on by saying that it's a very personal choice. I'll give a few of my 'factors', and they might be of help to you :)

• I always* match the buckle color and finish to that of the watch case.

• I've found that Pre-V Buckles with a curved profile are less prone to snagging in clothing than some of the 'flat' buckles (such as the GPF Mod Dep buckle ) so I find that more comfortable to wear :)
  • While some sewn in buckles might look nice (and some do look awesome) I would have to point out that the permanant fixing of the buckle restricts which watches the strap can be worn with (I would could never wear my Toscana putty strap with my 004, due to its sewn in, polished buckle)

I hope that's of help to you :):good:

* As much as possible. For example, I've just picked up a Radiomir from the post office which was ordered as a birthday present, and have fitted it to the burgundy Andy strap which I love on my 127. It (strap and watch) looks great, a real vintage looking combo, but, the buckle, is the 127's brushed buckle as I don't have a polished 26mm buckle. It looks okay, but the buckle certainly doesn't complement the watch in any way, where a polished one would...

So while it's not a set in stone rule, it is definitely a very firm guideline :lol:

Thanks, guys.

I think my personal preference is going to dictate that I find a few straps that are solely dedicated to each watch. So, SIBs are okay :)

After having slept on it, I think I have an idea of what I plan on doing... Which will probably be boring amongst the likes of the RWG PAM consensus, but will be consistent across the watches that I plan on building :) That is, until I get the itch to maybe go vintage? Tempting... But I don't think my wrist can carry a 47mm watch like some of you guys can ;)

Thanks, guys.

I think my personal preference is going to dictate that I find a few straps that are solely dedicated to each watch. So, SIBs are okay :)

After having slept on it, I think I have an idea of what I plan on doing... Which will probably be boring amongst the likes of the RWG PAM consensus, but will be consistent across the watches that I plan on building :) That is, until I get the itch to maybe go vintage? Tempting... But I don't think my wrist can carry a 47mm watch like some of you guys can ;)

When I first got into PAMs, I thought there was no way I'd ever be wearing a 47mm watch. Exposure to a 127 later... :whistling:

Had you considered a 47mm Radiomir? They have a much smaller profile than a 127... Same advice as I've given when viewing the 45mm Planet Ocean... Don't try the larger watch if you have only just taken off something of Submariner size, as, until your eye adjusts, it will look huge by comparison. Leave your wrist bare a while so you're looking at it with 'fresh eye' :good:

As long as the lugs don't hang over the sides of your wrist, it's not too big ;)