When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

3717 Hand sizes

adrenalin

Greetings all,

I am still doing some homework regarding the 3717. I have discovered that I can still get a V1 dial. I have read in previous posts that it is better to get a low beat Asian movement (21.6) 7750 as compaired to the high beat {28.8} Asian 7750 especially if you are considering a Swiss ETA 7750 movement swap. As I understand it, there is aparently a signifigant difference in hand sizes between the two? Can anybody confirm if this is indeed still the case? or does it even matter?

Thanks, and as allways, any input is greatly apreciated!

-K

Greetings all,

I am still doing some homework regarding the 3717. I have discovered that I can still get a V1 dial. I have read in previous posts that it is better to get a low beat Asian movement (21.6) 7750 as compaired to the high beat {28.8} Asian 7750 especially if you are considering a Swiss ETA 7750 movement swap. As I understand it, there is aparently a signifigant difference in hand sizes between the two? Can anybody confirm if this is indeed still the case? or does it even matter?

Thanks, and as allways, any input is greatly apreciated!

-K

Yes, this is true.

If you get the high beat movement, you will either have to pick up a set of low-beat hands, or will have to modify them to get them to fit on the ETA movement. The subdial hands are slightly too big, and the large second hand is too small if memory serves. There are work arounds, but it's a straightforward swap with the low-beat movement, so if you know you're going to do it, then I would suggest getting the low-beat to start.

Also, go for the ETA day/date wheel swap at the same time. It's a must-do mod for the 3717 as long as you have it apart.

Edited by tomhorn

Tomhorn,

Thanks for the confirmation... It never hurts to ask the question to make sure...

While we are on the subject, would anybody have the part numbers for the date wheels? (Cousins, or anywere else) Are they specfic for the IWC or are they all the same?

Briank996,

How old is your 3717? Who did you get it from? The low beat Asian (21.6) now seems to be a "special" request. The majority of the 7750's apear to be the high beat version. At least thats what I have discovered in the last little bit...

Thanks again,

-K

While we are on the subject, would anybody have the part numbers for the date wheels? (Cousins, or anywere else) Are they specfic for the IWC or are they all the same?

The low beat Asian (21.6) now seems to be a "special" request. The majority of the 7750's apear to be the high beat version. At least thats what I have discovered in the last little bit...

Don't know the part numbers off-hand but if you do a search I remember someone posting this info. They are just the regular ETA datewheels - a phone call to Cousins will get them ordered no problem.

The low-beat movement with the V1 dial was available during the early period of production then changed to the high-beat but rumor has it that, at least some dealers have reverted to the low-beat movement. How can you tell which is which??? Just listen to it and compare with a known high-beat or low-beat movement. The two movements sound distinctly different.

Of interest (I posted this in another thread as well):

hand sizes for ETA to Swiss

From The Zigmeister:

Genuine ETA 7750 all variants (all...should apply to the 21k slow beat A7750 as well)

Hour 2.00mm

Minute 1.20mm

Center Seconds 0.25mm

Subdials 0.17mm

New Asian 7750 (28,800 BPH) Normal ones - NOT the Daytona model (don't have one to measure)

Hour 2.00mm

Minute 1.20mm

Center Seconds 0.20mm

Subdial 0.20mm

The Zigmeister's Explanation of Gluing Hands

Toadtorrent,

Thanks for the info. I read your preivious post, originaly dated several months back. My concern was if anything had changed from our dealers and their supplies. (like only having high beat Asian with some combo of new/old dials....) My real concern is actually with the subdials and their hand sizes... I am going to opt for a low beat 7750, as I will be exchanging the movement to a Swiss eta 7750. Hands then become one less thing to source.

Thanks again for the input!

-K