When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Best No Date Submariner model?

sayan

I don't like the cyclops on the submariner and was thinking of getting the sea dweller instead but I don't think my wrist would accommodate the thicker and larger sea dweller. So I'm back to the submariner.

What's the best model for the no date submariner? Is the one from Trusty Time a good buy?

I would suggest that you buy the latest MBW no date vintage sub (5512) white dial from Eurotimz. The pictures he posted of this watch looked awesome. Lug holes even looked larger and possibly correct in size. (as compared with other MBW that I own) Buy this watch and then have someone trim the CG and install the best quality aftermarket insert/pearl. IF the lug holes are too small get these drilled to correct size and install the correct size spring bars and you are good to go.

Removing the cyclops is no answer. You would be left with a sub without a date mag which does not exist in the real world.

The no date sub has NO DATE.

The seadweller has no date mag but ITS A SEA DWELLER and not a Sub. Plus a SD has also a different case and dial.

If you want a no date sub buy a MBW no date 5512 vintage white dial from Eurotimz for 400 bucks. A few mods and you will have one incredible piece of wrist art. Your total investment will be around 600 - 650 bucks....watch plus mods.

Yes it certainly is a serious suggestion. Acetone will not remove the crystal just the glue that holds the cyclops to it (as long as its a sapphire crystal). As by-tor said the no date reps are crap.

That being said I believe the best suggestion for the original poster would be to remove the cyclops.

Modding gen rolexs is never recommended but is more common then you think. That being said while it may be rare, it is entirely plausible for a submariner to not have a cyclops if the owner did not want one.

Its up to the author of the thread, but that's what I would do. Take it or leave it.

Taking a date mag off a sub would be silly. Are there gen subs sitting on wrists right now that dont have mags? Maybe....but I have never seen one. If you want a good no date sub buy the vintage MBW 5512 as I suggested and get it lightly modded. Taking the date mag off your sub will just leave you with one crappy looking rep submariner.

I'd certainly agree with Perry that the two best no date Subs are the MBW 5512 and 5513. ShawnBeever has added a gen insert to his 5512 and it looks pretty darn good. The 14060's aren't really that good as far as reps go, but if it doesn't bother you, you could always go with one of those w/ an ETA for a little more than a couple of hundred dollars.

Taking the date cyclops off a 16610- well, that would be up to you. Personally, I'd just buy an SSD V2- it ain't perfect either, but don't forget, "A rep is only a rep."