When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Safari

apollo22

Dude, you and I are looking at the exact same watch. I am presently modding my AP ROO (secs at 12), which has a black dial, to a black alligator strap, but I'm thinking about dropping $600 on this to have a second watch for sunny days when I wear brown or khaki. We'll have to wait until someone buys one to post pictures of it. To me it looks like the correct cream color, so we'll see.

Why not shoot Josh an email and ask him directly? I'll do that right now.

Wow! Josh responded very quickly. It pays to have a Blackberry on hand. OK, this is what I wrote to him in email:

Hi, I'm looking at your Safari model APROO.

http://www.joshwatch.com/images/9/4/0107/2.jpg

In previous models, the dial color was incorrect because it was ivory white. The correct dial color in the genuine Safari is an off-white, cream color. Did the Guangzhou watchmakers correct the dial color?

If you have one in hand, and have taken a close look at it, please let me know. Thanks.

And here is his response:

Hi,

It is still the same dial.. The color is accurate and correct.

Thanks

Joshua

If it is "still the same dial" as previous models (i.e., ivory white dial) then the color would be inaccurate. However, on the website it does look like the off-white color. Perhaps he meant that the dial is the same as the genuine.

It certainly looks different and more accurate to my eyes.

Perhaps the pictures of the initial sec@12 safari had the white balance adjusted so it looked bright white.

But im sure i've seen members pictures of this model and it still looked very bright white.

It must have changed - what would cause it to 'look' off white/cream if it wasnt. White balance wont do that.

Although Josh is a great dealer, I would be shocked if he said something he sold is inaccurate.

I maybe have heard that type of candid response from Angus, but no other dealer.

Cheers,

M

In my experience Josh has often told me that a better version is coming, and to wait and not buy something, or that a particular watch is not accurate, and not to buy it. He's been very candid with me (and that's why I've bought a lot of reps from him

Interestingly, below is what Josh wrote in his email to me......

"Dial is white. Dial of genuine is white.. A lot of online pics shows its cream due to the photo lightings".

So that confirms the dial on this rep is white and not cream.........I haven't seen the GEN in person but all the online photos that I've seen (on eBay and other AP forums) are all cream, but according to Josh, even the GEN is white!

"Dial is white. Dial of genuine is white.. A lot of online pics shows its cream due to the photo lightings"

So if the gen dial it’s white, then the subdials are.. whiter white?

Well all of you have eyes, if the dial were white not all the pictures will be cream and white subdials and if you go to an ad you will also notice the color, but then some could tell you that in the ad there were also a different light condition…

BTW in the pic I posted there is a white cloth besides so there goes the lighting issue

Edited by emuozz

I've found a few photos of the GEN from the internet showing a white dial (some might want to call it slightly off white?) with what it seems to me silverish sub dials.......

Also I read that the GEN Safari does not have any lume at all........interesting.

Saf1.jpg

Saf3.jpgSaf2.jpg

Edited by apollo22

There should be no dispute as to the color of the genuine. Budjosh posted in this forum a side-by-side comparison of the genuine Safari and the fake black dial. The dial is clearly a cream-like color, and when you zoom it in the dial looks like it has a pearly gloss to it as well.

To avoid any further dispute, it would be better to avoid the Safari altogether and get a black dial instead. There's no dispute with the black dial.

i can't believe how many "i think the genuine is like this" comments have been thrown around in these thread. come on people -- this is how misinformation gets spread around.

the gen dial is cream and the subdials are a different (more silvery) color, as you can clearly see in this photo of the gen...

pict0062uf1.jpg

deltatahoe

• 2 weeks later...