When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Gen Rolex date question

jdavis

When did Rolex change from open 6s and 9s on the date discs? I feel that it occured some time around the mid 80s. Perhaps it was when the movement was changed from 3035 to 3135 or with the model change from 160xx to 162xx although I don'[t know the exact dates of these changes. Is there an online source where I might find this kind of information?

You are probably correct. With the transition from 3035 to 3135.

But.... I did see a 3135 disc on eBay a while back that was open fonts, with very noticable serifs. I bid on it, but was sniped. So there must have been a transitional disc as well.

When did Rolex change from open 6s and 9s on the date discs? I feel that it occured some time around the mid 80s. Perhaps it was when the movement was changed from 3035 to 3135 or with the model change from 160xx to 162xx although I don'[t know the exact dates of these changes. Is there an online source where I might find this kind of information?

My gen mid-80s 16014 has closed fonts (the movement was purchased as NOS from a reliable source, so I know it came from Rolex that way), but I have pics of similar watches with either closed or open fonts. I believe Rolex either issued both open & closed date discs during the 80s (nothing new there) or many watches received the later closed font discs during service.

I'd agree that generally the open 6's and 9's went out with the 3035 movement. But as is the case with Rolex, there are discrepancies. I saw an early R serial 16610 w/ the open 6's and 9's the other day. Closed 6's and 9's on a 16014 doesn't surprise me either. I have an old 1966 1500 Date with closed 6's and 9's and round top 3's- not your typical date wheel for a 1575 movement, but I have no reason to be suspicious of it- everything else is original. Rolex just isn't always consistent.

Thanks for the information guys. There doesn't appear to be a definitive answer because of the inconsistent changes Rolex is known to make at various times in their production. I am in the process of putting together a 1980 version of a 16014 and was concerned about the correct date disc. From what I have gathered, the open font seems to be the most correct for this year of production. BTW, Thanks, Silty for providing the movement holder. It really makes for a smooth installation of the ETA into the Rolex case.

It used to be that you could get the datewheel overlay from Cubic-Works.com over in Hong Kong- the correct one for the circa 1980 DJ with the open 6's and 9's, but now they send the latest one with the closed 6's and 9's. MBW 1680's and 1665's have the open 6's and 9's w/ the round top 3's which aren't really correct for the original 1575 movement but would be great for the 16014/16013- but then your red sub or DRSD would be w/o a datewheel! Some of the cheap CN movements have the open 6's and 9's on their DW- may or may not work.