When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

TopGun Ceramic

fullex

Certainly no double chrono in the rep world, but the 44mm size is the same as the standard "single" top gun chrono. I'm sure the ceramic finish will be nothing like the real thing when side by side either but who's going to notice!

There are so many versions of this thing...it gets confusing.

The 3786 (rare and out of production) doesn't have the Top Gun back, and is 44mm:

3786a.jpg

3786a_CB_s.jpg

There's the LE Top Gun Ceramic 3789 (current model) chrono (non-Doppel) with the Top Gun caseback which is 44mm:

3789a_s.jpg

Then...there's the LE Top Gun Ceramic 3799 Doppel which is 46.5mm:

3799a_s.jpg

3799_cb_s.jpg

So from what I understand, a Top Gun Doppel is always 46.5mm...and the regular chrono is 44mm...but there is the smaller 44mm Doppel in the non-Top Gun version (with white hands vs. red jet hands).

I was going to add, that the first "Top Gun" rep that came out was the fake Doppel that attempted to copy the 3786 44mm with the 10-o-clock pusher but without the additional hand (no jet hands)...and the current "Top Gun" reps copy the 3789 regular chrono removing the 10-o-clock pusher, keeping the 44mm pilots case footprint in both a PVD and ceramic version.

They have yet to make a Top Gun Doppelchrono rep in 46.5mm. I would like to see this...even with a fake 10-o-clock pusher, and a fixed doppel hand...but without the Top Gun stuff...not quite accurate because no gen exists without the Top Gun markings...but much classier IMHO.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A 3786 rep would be the one but I've never seen it - the only 44mm rep I've seen is the Top Gun single chrono. Is that right?

No Double Chrono rep exists in any decent quality. The first one of these to come out was essentially a fusion of a couple models. They took the Top Gun markings, smaller case size, and the straight white hands to create the model that is out. Now, they have the red jet hands which I really like...but stuck it in the Top Gun case which is more accurate, but more cheezy.

I kinda wonder what the hell IWC was thinking when they made a Top Gun special edition.

They were not thinking very clearly :p but would have been hilarious if it was somehow misspelled to top nun by the replicators....

rbrn40l.jpg

I think the Top Gun editions are great. It makes the watches a bit more special.

But maybe I like it so much because I worked for the Airforce for 7 years and everything with fighter jets is great of course.

Still waiting for the ultimate 1:1 matte ceramic reps.

Don't get me wrong...I love jets...but Topgun is the moniker popularized in general culter by the film industry. I would prefer it to have the proper SFTI branding...but that just isn't as sexy now is it?

What's this chat about Ultimate 1:1 Ceramic reps? Are they on their way or is that just wishful thinking?! :pray:

Dream on...dream on. I don't know how the new Hublot full ceramic case is...that might be the closest thing we have now. The gloss case on the IWCs is too wrong of this kind of watch to me...

I wish they would get it right...but I also wish they would make a solid and reliable secs@6 7750 movement...World Peace, private island...

Guest jdb1417
Is there any way to get all that shiny gloss off, to send it off for some real PVD/Ceramic coating?

I bought that watch from TrustyTime, and will say the case was very shinny. It was not what i expected.

So far I have taken the movement and crystal out, and im in the process of "brushing" the case. I appears to be real ceramic, but has a funny high polish finish that I cant quite describe.

I work in a machine shop with access to some big grinders / beadblasters / sanders / etc. so we'll see how it goes. I'm not sure I can brush the finish, but I hope to make it very mat.

Guest jdb1417
Did you buy it recently, or before he changed the "updated brushed case" message on his site? :)

I bought it when it was updated "brushed ceramic."

I was not very happy when I got it and it was high polished.

After working on the case at the shop, I can confirm it is real ceramic, yet had a very weird coating on it that gave it a high polish. After much grinding and bead blasting ive managed to get a really nice flat mat ceramic look to the case!

I am very happy with the result.