When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Where to find the best 6263 dial for a V72?

symbebekos

Thanks to all the help, information and advice I've received on RWG, I've decided to build a franken V72-based 6263. Freddy's pointed out the bad "O" in ROLEX most Daytona rep dials have, and since then, it's hard for me to look at dials with that problem without wincing. So who has the best rep dial? DW? Andy/Timeman? Is there a more expensive super-rep out there? Tell me your opinion!

All aftermarket dials contain inaccuracies & many of the inaccuracies tend to shift or vary (in their location, severity, etc) over time and/or from version to version, so it is difficult to say whose dial is best. But, given that, DW's generally tend to contain the least objectionable compromises to MY eyes. Someone recently posted a picture of DW's 626x dial selection elsewhere in this forum (use the Search function). You might scope out some of DW's more salient competitors - NDTrading, Andy & Phong.

Anyone ever think of having a singer base dial refinished by kirk rich? apparently they do the refinishing for the RSC's.....

They might not wanna do it but if you had a singer V72 dial, and removed all the paint and stuff on top they can't say it's NOT rolex.....

Or maybe some of the rep dials for V72 are good enough that the company would just refinish it w/o question?

Anyone ever think of having a singer base dial refinished by kirk rich? apparently they do the refinishing for the RSC's.....

They might not wanna do it but if you had a singer V72 dial, and removed all the paint and stuff on top they can't say it's NOT rolex.....

Or maybe some of the rep dials for V72 are good enough that the company would just refinish it w/o question?

Sounds like a solid idea. Give it a try, Steve! Love to see how it came out.

Thanks Freddy! Your Daytonas are an inspiration. Steve, I like that idea about Kirk Rich - but where do you think one could find a base V72 Singer dial? Also, does anyone have an image of a Timeman Daytona dial? Andy doesn't have any on his site, and I emailed him but he seems to be away...

Thanks Freddy! Your Daytonas are an inspiration. Steve, I like that idea about Kirk Rich - but where do you think one could find a base V72 Singer dial? Also, does anyone have an image of a Timeman Daytona dial? Andy doesn't have any on his site, and I emailed him but he seems to be away...

My two Daytonas both have Timeman dials. The coronets were not too good, so I transplanted two nice ones from DW dials (coronets on DW dial are hit-or-miss). There are a few pictures around here somewhere...

That Kirk Rich idea sounds interesting. It will really depend on how "legitimate" they are. If they're really straight, there is the risk that they have worked on enough genuine dials to easily recognize the fake Singer stamp on our pieces.

I seem to recall that Andy's Daytona dials were the same 1s that Phong sells, so you might look his over & then check with Andy to see if he can get it for you at a more sane price.

I think I prefer DW's to Phong's...Phong's coronet just looks wrong to me, and a few other little things bug me. I don't know if anything but a gen dial would satisfy me, but they're so freaking expensive.

yes,,, this is exactly what I am going to do.. i have a gen dial lying around in the tool box back home..

IMG_0933.jpg

Ariana (Universal watch) quoted me $400 for the complete refinishing job.

Rlex

Gen bracelet, NOS hands

IMG_0938.jpg

Flex - Universal has done 2 of my gen dials & they do outstanding work. Unlike NDTrading & other purveyors of 'professionally refinished' dials (which are, in fact, nothing more than 100% newly made, aftermarket parts), Universal is the real deal. Their professionally restored dials actually do look like the original & without the usual telltale (aftermarket) mistakes.

However, I would give some serious thought to leaving the dial as-is, since it does not look to be in very bad shape in the picture.

Freddy, avitt, symbebekos - i am still deciding as to which company I should be sending my dial for refinishing.

Just for reference, when i showed these companies with the pic of my watch.

Universal quoted me $400 (very reasonable I think) whereas Kirk quoted me $350. Michael Young just advised me to get a service dial from RSC Hong Kong as he believes it will bring down the value of my vintage rolex.

regards

Flex

Flex - Universal has done 2 of my gen dials & they do outstanding work. Unlike NDTrading & other purveyors of 'professionally refinished' dials (which are, in fact, nothing more than 100% newly made, aftermarket parts), Universal is the real deal. Their professionally restored dials actually do look like the original & without the usual telltale (aftermarket) mistakes.

However, I would give some serious thought to leaving the dial as-is, since it does not look to be in very bad shape in the picture.

Flex - Any non-original part (including Rolex service parts, if they differ from the OEM part) in a Rolex watch will (negatively) affect its ultimate value to serious collectors. But so can a damaged dial. It is a balancing game & you have to make an executive decision. Were the watch mine, having seen the new picture, I would have Universal refinish the dial.

However, & I think this is your goal too, for non-tool watches, I prefer a watch that looks like it just came back from Rolex service, as opposed to a vintage watch that 'looks its age'. The dial you receive back from Universal will look, for all intents & purposes, almost exactly like 1 of those NOS dials you see popping up on TZ every once in awhile that makes people (like me) pant & drool.

Still, on the other-other hand -- If you use the dial as-is (unrefinished), no one who looks at the finished watch will ever believe it is anything other than (a freshly-serviced) gen. The age & patina on that dial is unmistakably genuine, which adds alot of credibility to your watch.

So, you really cannot go wrong whichever way you decide to go. Just make absolutely sure you go with a gen (& age/model correct) bracelet or strap

623920121.jpg

Don't refinish the dial. People pay big $$$ for genuine patina on Rolex dials & hands. Trust me, as a veteran lonnng-time OEM vintage Rolex collector, I know. The worth of a rep or franken is relative (???) but a nice franken with a vintage dial such as yours remains unique. Keep it as is!

LOL, differing opinions can make a man go insane :D