When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

RobbieG's Collection

RobbieG

great collection!...quite the range of choice for a daily rotation...well done...love the UN, 1900's and Omega PO...sharp!...

so tell me.....this rep addiction turns into a gen addiction?!?!?!?...

yikes...better start encrypting my rwg interest from the Mrs...............

R-

Well, I kind of had a watch addiction before reps but really just Rolex watches - a Sub, then a YM, and I always had a gen Datejust for the last 15+ years or so. Then I found reps and went on a spree. In the end I realized that I would use reps as a way to keep up on the latest simple (uncomplicated) watches which is what has primarily interested me. I fell in love with the community here really as opposed to reps per se and just enjoyed the level of watch talk here as opposed to anywhere else on the web. So reps for me serve as a sort of trial run for genuine watches I think I might be interested in. I'll get the rep for a few hundred or whatever and see how I take to it. If I fall in love and I just can't live without it, after a few months I'll sell the rep and get the gen. Much of my core collection today was born of reps.

-The Aquatimer came after checking out the Slevin and I decided on the Ti watch instead.

-The PO started as the UPO which I felt was too clunky and didn't care for without really strong AR which just makes the watch - so I decided to get the gen in the 42MM size.

-I have always had a DJ and wanted to upgrade to the new style with wider lugs. I was thinking rhodium roman dial with Oyster bracelet and so I got a rep of that for a bit to make sure. It stuck and I bought the gen and sold the rep

Anyway, that is the process and those are three examples. Sometimes it doesn't work out and I wish I had done the rep trial. As an example I bought a gen GMTIIc Rolex without getting the rep first. I realized that I didn't really love it - at least not 6k worth of love and I ended up taking a little hit on the sale. If I would have got the rep first it would have saved me. Similarly, last year I went on a buying spree of a bunch of gens on impulse while traveling and regret it to this day. I sold them all and really thinned out my collection to what I just adore. I learned my lesson. I told laz the other day on the phone that my goal now is to have such a refined collection that when I stand at my box every day, I literally can't decide what to wear because I wish I could wear them all. If anything starts to get segregated off it goes. I think I'm done now and I need to add a couple category holes to fill even. But the core 5 in my signature are here to stay and probably always will be.

Oh and one more thing, I won't ever duplicate a particular category again. If I decide I like a certain watch in a category in the future more than the current one I will replace what I already have. If I can't bear to part with what is already there that will be seen as a sign that maybe the replacement is not needed.

Example: The PO fills the black dial/black bezel brushed finished dive/sports watch category. If I decided say that I wanted the new ceramic Submariner when it comes out I would have to want it more than I want to keep the PO because I wouldn't have both. From experience I know what will happen and it is that the newest one will get all the attention and the other will sit. I just don't want to be wasteful. But of course I would in that case get the rep first and see how I like it before making any more rash decisions.

Beeeeeeautiful watches *drools*

The pictures of the PO are my favourite, what a great collection!

Yeah, the UPO originally pointed the way, but grabbing the gen 42MM PO was one of the best purchases I have made. The addition of the rubber strap has opened up a whole new world of versatility. But I can't stress enough that it is the AR and the lume that make this watch in person. In diffused natural and low light the AR just brings out the richness and depth of color!

Robbie,

Great photos! I can appreciate all the time and effort you took in these pics. And skill.

Fine watches are like fine wines. The more refined the taste the more quality demanded.

Look forward to meeting you.

Yeah the GTG should be fun. Hopefully, we can get a better turnout though. Seems like there should be a lot more members in South Florida - if we only knew who they all were...