When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

New IWC Minute Repeater 524204 - Josh

Toadtorrent

Josh appears to have his prelim announcement of a new IWC Minute Repeater. This has a very simple dial with running secs@6 which I think looks reasonably elegant. I like the look of the more symmetrical power reserve dial...but that's me.

1.jpg

Unfortunately, they seem to have screwed up in a few ways. The numeral hour markers are narrower than the gen:

5242_004_l.jpg

Gen

of course the movement doesn't look the same, but it still looks nice on the rep...but I don't think IWC spells their name "INTS 3NATIONAL WATCH CO."

7.jpg

DOH!! :crazy:

I have also never seen a rep/low quality minute repeater watch. You mention that you've seen tourbs but not minute repeater reps, this is because mechanically, the Chinese tourbillions are quite simple mechanically. They use a carriage type tourbillion that due to its robustness compared to fine swiss tourbs, are quite simple to assemble and manufacture. High end tourbs have almost excessive decoration and finesse, most assemblies comprising of 80+ parts weighing less than 3 grams. Minute repeaters on the other hand not only require more parts (which I don't think is too much of an issue for the chinese) but they require superior watchmaking knowledge and rationale to understand how the innards work and how to regulate the whole movement together. Minute repeaters, in my opinion, are the pinnacle of watchmaking complications. A real time, variable, hour, minute, striker.... WOW!!!

Yeah...not likely a functioning minute repeater. I don't think I've heard of a rep minute repeater movement. Funny that...they can do rep tourby's...but not a minute repeater. Go figger!

Here's a good example. It's basically a watch that can tell time in the dark/for blind people by using hammers that strike against the gongs. First it strikes the hours, then the quarters (three strikes mean 45 minutes, 2 mean 30, etc) and then it strikes the minuts, that you add to the quarters. Its highly complicated and very fine!

for stupid people like me: What is a minute repeter?