When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

correct size for a Vintage Panerai strap

dadog13

Hi guys!

I need help...I need info about the correct size of a vintage PAM strap cause I want to order one for my Angelus PAM...

I know that the size is 26/26 - correct?

but what is the correct lenght? I know VDB told me once but I forgot it...I want that it has a bit of tail (long one) - it will be approx. 5mm thick...I have a 7.5 inch wrist...and I want to know what is your opinion on holes...should I have it made only one - like a personalized strap? or more of them?

All the help is welcome and I thank you all in advance!

cheers!

I think something like 160/110 or 90 not sure.

tnx D!

I am definitely sure that whatever the size it is, that it will be too long for wearing comfortably...this is why I think will order a 140/90 - 5mm thick...that will be definitely enough, maybe too much! :)

Dadog,

Yes 26/26. I think the rule of thumb for a vintage fit is to add 10-20mm on long piece of the strap and 5mm more on the buckle side from what you would normally wear on a modern strap. I generally wear a 115/70 on a "factory" strap and my vintage was 130/75 and it's not too long. You do have to factor in if its 5mm thick strap that it will fit tighter too.

You should have V make you a strap with the GPF repro buckles he has. Move fast though, he was down to only a few. Here's one he made for me.

DSC_0399.jpg

DSC_0398.jpg

@toomuchgear...that's a wonderful strap you have there...I am planning to have it custom made from petergunny from gunny straps...he has some nice vintage looking leather that I like a lot (V's are nice as well...and the buckle from fgd is amazing)...

I would order now one from V as well but I am short on $$$...the one I am going to get from gunny is part of a trade with a member...

@toomuchgear...that's a wonderful strap you have there...I am planning to have it custom made from petergunny from gunny straps...he has some nice vintage looking leather that I like a lot (V's are nice as well...and the buckle from fgd is amazing)...

I would order now one from V as well but I am short on $$$...the one I am going to get from gunny is part of a trade with a member...

Thanks Dadog, yes the buckles and the strap sure came out great!

The gunny straps are nice too I hear, please post some pix when you have it mounted on that incredible work of art you have :wub: .

Thanks Dadog, yes the buckles and the strap sure came out great!

The gunny straps are nice too I hear, please post some pix when you have it mounted on that incredible work of art you have :wub: .

Damn you! because of your posted pics in the end I'll be ordering probably one from V as well... :lol: ...sent him a PM just min ago...

enjoy your beauty...looks great....

you could share some info about it while we are here?! what's inside? who did the watch? c'mon, share with us...

Damn you! because of your posted pics in the end I'll be ordering probably one from V as well... :lol: ...sent him a PM just min ago...

enjoy your beauty...looks great....

you could share some info about it while we are here?! what's inside? who did the watch? c'mon, share with us...

Thank you Dadog!

Should I tease you with a few more pix of another V strap on the way ;).

dsc04275nq5.jpg

dsc04277lr7.jpg

My 6152 is an early version from DSN with the standard 6497 heartbeat. I did have the dail relumed by The Zigmeister, he did some painting on top of the lume on the dial and hands to give it some patina. The crystal is also tinted silightly with paint on the inside to give it a yellow aged perspex coloration. The case was aged (hard to see in the pix) by dinging it up with tools and carrying it around in the pants pocket full of coins for week. It still needs a little attention on crown, cg and case engravings but I've been side tracked with other projects lately.

Your VDB masterpiece is on an entirely different level though! :drool:

Thank you Dadog!

Should I tease you with a few more pix of another V strap on the way ;) .

My 6152 is an early version from DSN with the standard 6497 heartbeat. I did have the dail relumed by The Zigmeister, he did some painting on top of the lume on the dial and hands to give it some patina. The crystal is also tinted silightly with paint on the inside to give it a yellow aged perspex coloration. The case was aged (hard to see in the pix) by dinging it up with tools and carrying it around in the pants pocket full of coins for week. It still needs a little attention on crown, cg and case engravings but I've been side tracked with other projects lately.

Your VDB masterpiece is on an entirely different level though! :drool:

tnx for the compliments!

I saw that strap just a couple of min ago...looks really nice...I've started talking with V about a strap (you should get a percentage from V from the sale...I beleive I'll order one in a couple of days, just have to decide upon the color - not an easy task with the selection of nice leather that V's got)...

your vintage piece is lovely as well... :1a:

A real gen for watch ( not the one for compas ) , the correct size will be around a 155/90 mm.

26/26, one floating keeper, one not, 6 holes of only 2mm indiameter, and space beetween around 12mm.

The correct leather will be a natural one who will became yellow with little aged and dark brown with lot of use and time.

A correct one is a 3 piece construction for the long side, a two pieces for the short side( of course except the keeper).

It will be more thick from lugs and for around 50mm, more thin after.

And don't use nylon for the seewn, but a "fil de lin" like on gen ( sorry but i don't remember the name in english ).

I have one who was on work, i will achieved it next week i hope.

Hope this help !!! :D

@clint eastwood...thanks for your help...it is always nice to see you in these vintage matter posts...and your knowledge is more than appreciated!

and please post more of your beauties!

I am actualy work on my next one project; a 6152 Angelus powered with smal second , but i don't know if i wil do a 2 or 4 lines dial;

i need to do all the mods, resize case, plexi, paint all dial ,resin filled indices, make correct strap... i will start this weekend

At this time i have only finished one dial, the marking are engraving but not sure will be the one i will use;

i will do a post when this one will be finished;

Here a pic of dial, case on back was mod for a friend :

P1010499.jpg