When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Rolex Milgauss w/Green Sapphire Full Review by D4M

Daytona4me

I'll have to agree with iceberg and the others. While a decent looking Rep with improvements to the casing and bracelet. The dial and the Crystal still has a long way to go. Even from afar the green (or blue, or whatever) on this version will be obvious. Close up, it will be instantly recognizable.

Whether it's tinted like AR, on the outside, inside, or both. It will never replicate the hue of a Gen green crystal which produces a unique reflection at all angles (almost Prism-like).

In real life and on photos. As soon as light hits this Rep, it's game over I'm afraid.

Hence I'd stick with purchasing the White Milly and working on that dial and lume.

Here is what it does to a water drop(s) in a non altered photo. Actual GV Crystal

post-4061-1226001323_thumb.jpg

post-4061-1226001332_thumb.jpg

Edited by BigSlickAK

Here's an interesting picture I took...

I wanted to catch the AR reflection in the black glass table that I shoot on because I thought it would show a saturation of the blue and green hue that I said was present in the AR coating, the black defused the green in the AR and with the incorrect position of my lighting you can see a green AR feathered across the sapphire..

milgauss2004.jpg

original post edited too..

Here is what it does to a water drop(s) in a non altered photo. Actual GV Crystal

Cool shots AK, Did you take those yourself or find them on another website?

This is a cool watch. If I ever get a job at a power plant I'm going to buy this watch. :wiggle:

I wonder why they chose the green crystal for the design. Is there some story behind that?

Edited by World Traveller

Hey thanks, I found those pics from one of the Rolex Message boards. Here is what I read at one time about the green sapphire crystal.

It was meant to capture and hold the LUME as long as possible. The c1 lume lasts about 6 hours and the orange (emits a blue lume) for about 15 minutes then turns into green like the c1.

In all likelyhood. This green sapphire use "is a myth" and is no more advantageous than clear or AR coated sapphire.

Another thing that was going on from post 2008 Basel introduction, is rumors that the precious Green sapphire was limited in supply and hence all the Grey market and authorized Dealers selling this piece for in the neigborhood of $15K plus!

Again, turned out to be a myth and the Price has come back down to earth!