When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Rolex Milgauss w/Green Sapphire Full Review by D4M

Daytona4me

As promised, I have purchased this Rolex Milgauss Black Dial to do a review.

Model: Rolex Milgauss 116400V

Movement: ETA 2836-1

Sapphire: Genuine Green Crystal with AR coating (coating has a green/blue hue)

Bracelet: Oyster w/Easylock system

Extras: Faraday Cage Anti-Magnetic Shielding System

Measurements as taken by a digital caliper are as follows:

Case w/crown: 42mm

Case w/out crown: 39.75mm

Case Back to Sapphire top thickness: 12.60mm

Lug Width: 20mm

Bracelet at Clasp: 16mm

This Limited Edition Milguass 116400V M-Series watch has been called one of the most collectible modern watches ever.

It's French name suggest high resistance to magnetic fields (with magnetic flux density up to 1,000 gauss) and (The Genuine) a perfect choice for someone who works in close proximity of high magnetic fields, the replica... not so sure what that surround is made of.

The stainless steel case is 40mm (actually measured at 39.75mm) in diameter with the aforementioned green sapphire crystal and with text on the caseback.

The case also features the desirable smooth bezel, and polished center links on the Oyster bracelet. The genuine case is water resistant to 100 meters, the replica.. you try first and report back.. lol :lol:

This watch is a pleasant surprise to someone who is not thrilled with the idea of owning a Rolex (that's me!). It does not emanate that flashy jubilee look at me sparkle and will not likely be the first watch in the crowd called out as a replica.

As far as accuracy goes, the coronet seems accurately placed on the dial and the fonts are all pretty accurate except for the "Milgauss" where the lettering is too thick, the spacing of the swiss made is spot on as well.

I think that the second hand is just a little too short but only by around 1mm. The color of the second hand is pretty close but could be just a tad darker imo.

The model number is accurately stamped between the lugs "116400", what I do not know is if the genuine says "Orig Rolex Design 116400" maybe someone can confirm this wording on a genuine for me.

What is glaringly inaccurate is the case back. I have not seen a genuine with a holographic sticker (not in any of the pictures I have found thus far) and the model stamped on the holographic sticker says 116200 which is not a model number for a Milgauss. I do not know if all of these have this error, it may just be a mistake on mine, but as previously noted, the case is accurately stamped between the lugs.

Now for some pictures: Please be sure to look at the genuine and replica comparisons.

GENUINE:

RX116400VMILTZ-02.jpg

REPLICA:

milguass003-1.jpg

GENUINE:

RX116400VMILTZ-01.jpg

REPLICA:

milgauss002-1.jpg

GENUINE:

RX116400VMILTZ-03.jpg

REPLICA:

milgauss006.jpg

GENUINE:

RX116400VMILTZ-07.jpg

REPLICA:

milgauss023.jpg

Some additional pictures for your viewing pleasure..

Here's an interesting picture I took...

I wanted to catch the AR reflection in the black glass table that I shoot on because I thought it would show a saturation of the blue and green hue that I said was present in the AR coating, the black defused the green in the AR and with the incorrect position of my lighting you can see a green AR feathered across the sapphire..

milgauss2004.jpg

milgauss004.jpg

milgauss005.jpg

milgauss004.jpg

milgauss007.jpg

milgauss008.jpg

milgauss012.jpg

milgauss013.jpg

milgauss019.jpg

milgauss020.jpg

milgauss016.jpg

milgauss017.jpg

milgauss018.jpg

milgauss022.jpg

not bad, thanks for sharing

of course the crystal crown etch and rehaut engraving has the typical problems (almost ruins it). the "milgauss" font appears a little thicker than the gen and the green crystal looks a slightly different green. However the crystal color may just be the in the photo and lighting/white balance related.

is that a gen eta it looks a little odd?

good stuff tho

I mistyped in my original post obviously... but ETA does make a 2836-1 , I was going to find the difference last night but simply was to tired.. will look for it today unless someone gets to it before me.

edit: also, it appears as though I may be wrong on the 116200, I dont think it's a white dial milgauss but a datejust model. sorry for the mixup.

I mistyped in my original post obviously... but ETA does make a 2836-1 , I was going to find the difference last night but simply was to tired.. will look for it today unless someone gets to it before me.

edit: also, it appears as though I may be wrong on the 116200, I dont think it's a white dial milgauss but a datejust model. sorry for the mixup.

the 2836 predates the 2836-2 movement design. 2836-2 was its successor in the early 80s. funny you'd see it used here. so it's either a refurb'd base OR a clone that has a "typo"...sort of. :)

the 2836 predates the 2836-2 movement design. 2836-2 was its successor in the early 80s. funny you'd see it used here. so it's either a refurb'd base OR a clone that has a "typo"...sort of. :)

It's my understanding (and I could be wrong) that the 2836 and 2824 were earlier low beat movements before the 2836-2 and 2824-2 came out.

And the 116200 is a Datejust with white gold bezel. That's what my gen case and dial are telling me.

not bad, thanks for sharing

of course the crystal crown etch and rehaut engraving has the typical problems (almost ruins it). the "milgauss" font appears a little thicker than the gen and the green crystal looks a slightly different green. However the crystal color may just be the in the photo and lighting/white balance related.

is that a gen eta it looks a little odd?

good stuff tho

The genuine Milgauss green crystal has NO coronet etching at 6:00, only the clear crystal version has the etching. Apparently, Rolex had troubles with the etching vs. the green coating on the crystal. So the rep is inaccurate in that its not supposed to have an etching if it is a green crystal. Picture below from timezone, used without permission.

post-783-1225810908_thumb.jpg

Other than that, its a nice piece, and a great review. Thanks D4M.

Not that this website is any authority on movements but form your own conclusion with regards to the 2836-1 Movement.

From my research, it does look like an older movement, I wonder if these makers found a surplus of old stuff ??

http://www.ranfft.de/cgi-bin/bidfun-db.cgi...&ETA_2836_1

But according to this site, the specifications are:

ETA 2836-1

Features

automatic

sweep second

day: quickset, 2 languages

date: quickset

hack feature

Data

11.5''', Dm= 25.6mm, H= 5.05mm

17/21/25 jewels