When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

IWC 3717

surfer

First of all I thank you all for your posts here in this forum. This forum is a big source for everyone who is seeking for a nice watch !

I've done some research in this section, but still can't make the total picture clear for me. Hopefully you can ^_^

I'm looking for a IWC 3717 watch with a black or brown strap.

I've seen the posts about the V1 model with singel AR coated. To make this watch perfect I've to change dial with the ETA ones and have the crystal a extra AR coat. I saw on Josh's and on Andrew's site that there is a V2?! of this watch with double AR coated Crystal with an asian Valjoux 7750 movement.

I can't find if this one is as good as the V1 version and if I still need to change the dial and do the extra coat. Anyone has experience with this verison of the 3717 watch ? Second question is that I live in The Netherlands and I like to know if there is a webshop that I can trust in the EU that can deliver this watch ? The delivery time from Josh and Andrew to The Netherlands is 28 working days by airline. That's a long time :mellow: Thirth question is that I like the brown croc strap. Where can I find a fitting and afoordable one with a 21 mm size ?

Thank you for your reactions/help !

I'm assuming you are talking about a 3717-01/04 vs. the 3717-02/05 :

3717-1.jpg

01/04 on the left, 02/5 on the right (aka Spitfire)

It sounds like you're just starting your rep journey. I would suggest you read the first few posts in this thread:

Swedish Ordering Thread - applicable to Europe in General

As well...for info on reps in general:

Great Info on Reps

For straps, etc:

RWG List of Links

For who to buy from:

Trade Reviews (Including Reviews of Collectors)

General Rep Collecting and Forum Info:

Phoband's intro to collecting

Edge's Guide to Rep Forums Pt I

Edge's Guide to Rep Forums Pt II

Back to your question...if you're talking the 01/04...the V1 had the better dial...but you need to swap the datewheel with the ETA one to correct the black on white font to white on black with the proper font. It looks like they have corrected the colour of the datewheel, but there may be issues with centering and the font...you can decide with the one you get whether or not it's an issue for you. If you're having work done on the watch anyways...it's a cheap upgrade.

You are correct that the older V1 had single AR, and the V2 has double AR...but the AR provided by folks on the board here (namely Chieftang and Jakub) is really tops, and often better than the gen. The V2 AR isn't bad...but not as good as what the AR masters on the board can provide.

Both versions have the A7750 movement.

The rest of your questions have been answered many times in various posts on the board. Do yourself a favour and search for all the 3717 info you can find on the board. You will uncover lots of posts that are real gems of info that will guide you towards what you want.

As to dealers, many folks in Europe deal with the European based dealers only: Eurotimez, Precious Time, and I can't remember who else. Search for these dealers and you will find which one will best serve you in Europe.

A critique of the V2 is that the markers @ 3-6-9 are too thick, and I think there is lume on the Arabic numbers as well...and that's why people often like the V1. The markers at 3-6-9 are often crooked, and that's something you'll have to discuss in advance with the collector of your choosing.

Welcome aboard...do lots more research and you'll be in good order.

Ummmm.... Yeah!

What Toadtorrent said!

Geeze!.... you didnt leave anything for me to add!!!! :o

Surfer,

Toadtorrent just did about 2-3 weeks of research for you dude! This should help you spend your money faster! The 3717 is one of my favs, when you get yours, you will understand why too... Good luck!

Toadtorrent,

Your awesome!, simply awesome! :)

-K

I think there is also a V2 of the 3717/04, see for example:

http://www.tt88time.com/index.php?main_pag...ae9c5c01fa67f07

There they talk about the double AR on the 3717/04. I Don't know if the date dial is better for this version. I'll keep reading !

The 3717-04 is the same as the 3717-01 with the difference being the strap vs. the bracelet. So the watch head is the same...and the double AR should be the same between them. You're good to go. There is a V1 version that we were referring to for the 3717-01/04.

When you ask about the 3717, the black and white one is the one most people refer to...but IWC includes the Spitfire (3717-03/05) in the 3717 number range.

I'm almost convinced to buy one rom EuroTimez. He has a V1 with an 28k A7750 movement. Can someone shows how bad or good the print of the datewheels are ? I cannot change them myself, so I like to know if it is really bad.

Do a search for 3717 pics here...and try adding in V1 in the search string. There are lots of pics of the 3717 on this forum...so you'll see lots of pics of the datewheel. The main thing is it should be white on black...then the font thing may or not be an issue for you...depending on how anal you are.

I've done that Toadtorrent. I read a lot that the print of the rep isn't as good as the gen. But I don't know how bad that is since there are a lot of people just want to have it as gen as possible.

From the pictures here on the forum I see it isn't that bad. I've just ordered the 3717 with SS bracelet from Eurotimez. It's my first rep so I'm very excited how it will look like ;)

I've done that Toadtorrent. I read a lot that the print of the rep isn't as good as the gen. But I don't know how bad that is since there are a lot of people just want to have it as gen as possible.

From the pictures here on the forum I see it isn't that bad. I've just ordered the 3717 with SS bracelet from Eurotimez. It's my first rep so I'm very excited how it will look like ;)

Had mine from Chris for a couple of weeks now and IMO it is superb.

I've just received my 3717 V1 and must say it's a beauty ! The watch is from Eurotimez, V1 with 28k new asian.

The only problem is that the chrono isn't working. The upper button clicks but the chrono doesn't start. Date, time, Day all is functioning.

I've sent an email to Chris about the problem, but no reaction till now.

Anyone has an idea what this can be ? Do I have to do something to reset it or so or is my movement just broken ?

• 3 weeks later...

Anyone know if there are multiple versions of the 3717 with single or non AR Coated ? I know the difference between de V1 en V2 dial but never read about the coating.

I\'ve seen this one:

38OtgPkmDgkA6RryrzZt5g==.jpg

Is this single coated or is it just how they took the photo ?

Edited by surfer

Here is another picture.

How can I see if this one is the V1 or V2 and what do you think about the AR ?

The easiest way to tell if it's a v1 is to turn off the lights ... the v1 only has lume on the 3,6,9,12 hour markers, not on the numerals.

You can see a pic of it here. Merlin's shot is the best I've seen.

v1 has minimal AR. v2 is better, but it's still rep AR. Sending it off to Chieftang for AR is the best way to go, and swapping for the ETA datewheels makes a 3717 about perfect. If you want to go crazy you can swap the Asian 7750 for an ETA 7750, but that's a little expensive. Merlin's also has AR, so you can see the difference, although Jakob did his, which is not a recommended option anymore.

Mine's off getting a datewheel swap as we speak. When it comes back I'll be happy to provide pics of both. Chief will be getting it next ... :D

Edited by tomhorn

• 2 weeks later...

Today I've received a new IWC 3717 from Chris as he promised. This one is perfect ! Working Chrono's, perfect reset to zero and it looks like this is a new version or so, bc it has the correct lume of the V1, the double AR from the V2 and the dot on the number 3 position is perfect horizontal aligned. Chris does what he has promosid. It took some time due to the circumstances, but he keeps his word and solves the issues. Thanx Chris !!!

@vmena: I think you're right. Here's a picture of my new 3717 Fliegeruhr from Eurotimez.

As you can read above the first one was defect and Chris had to replace it. He didn't had it on stock and he ordered a new one direct from the factory in China. Within one week I got it.

From the point I can see is that it has the lume and dail of V1 with straight markers on 3 and 9 number, the Double AR and case of the V2 and I think it has the correct ETA date wheels ?!

I'm happy with it ;)

post-17627-1229623159_thumb.jpg

@vmena: I think you're right. Here's a picture of my new 3717 Fliegeruhr from Eurotimez.

As you can read above the first one was defect and Chris had to replace it. He didn't had it on stock and he ordered a new one direct from the factory in China. Within one week I got it.

From the point I can see is that it has the lume and dail of V1 with straight markers on 3 and 9 number, the Double AR and case of the V2 and I think it has the correct ETA date wheels ?!

I'm happy with it ;)

You must be happy... is 99% spot on... nevertheless, replace datewheel for an ETA one... it is bolder and looks much better. I'm going to sell some ETA 2892/2 movements I have to buy an ETA 7750!!! it will be the last touch :)

I just posted these pics in the Photography section, but here is my 3717 v1 fully modified.

Work completed:

- Swiss ETA Swap

- ETA Date Wheel Swap

- Chieftang Double AR

- Hour Markers Removed and Replaced with Superluminova

- HKTan Custom Strap

3717-1.jpg

3717-2.jpg

3717-3.jpg