When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Ebel 1911 Discovery

TeeJay

I've had my eye on these for a while, but was able to try on a gen today. I have to admit, I loved the feel of the case, and the dial was a pretty good size. The only thing which concerned me, was the potential visibility of the dial, as the indices were not exactly 'eye-catching'. That said, it was a really nice watch. Not

Nice score on the catalouge!!! I'm eyeing this one as well...especially after BT's review!

I haven't even dared open the wrapping of it yet :lol: It's completely factory sealed B)

It's a really nice watch, but the only rep I've seen thus far, (which is in the price bracket I'd normally spend) has the subdials too close to the center of the dial. Normally, I wouldn't be too concerned about accuracy to the gen, but in this case, the spacing of the dials is what gives the watch its character...

The subdial spacing on the Discovery rep is perfect.

You're probably thinking of the BTR, which uses different movement. Two different watch models.

This was the one I was thinking of:

3.jpg

I don't think the watch would get enough wear for me to justify buying a more expensive version :( It's a really nice watch, I just can't see myself wearing it on a daily basis...

I find it strange that more manufacturers aren't putting their catalogs online, like TAG Heuer.

I just got my DeWitt catalogue. Crap...if that jacketted, hard cover book doesn't make you fall in love with their watches, you are blind and wear a Timex. The book is beautiful. Nothing can replace a beautiful, hardcover bound book for browsing factor.

I just got my DeWitt catalogue. Crap...if that jacketted, hard cover book doesn't make you fall in love with their watches, you are blind and wear a Timex. The book is beautiful. Nothing can replace a beautiful, hardcover bound book for browsing factor.

True. But an online catalog is still better than nothing... and very convenient way to promote your product... to millions of people. If I was in charge of a watch company, I'd put one out immediately. It's 2008 now. :)

Ah, I wasn't aware that there was a "budget" quartz version.

Indeed, although according to Tony's description, it's an Asian 7750, not a quartz movement... That said, the movement in my 187-based fantasy watch (which I was wearing today) is quartz, and, other than the 'ticking', I can't grumble about its time-keeping :lol:

The Watcheden.com one is all wrong. The subdials are too small...so the whole thing looks all squished.

My thoughts exactly, and that's why I hadn't pulled the trigger on one ;) I know I'm fairly tolerant of replication flaws (like a quartz-powered PAM :lol: ) but some things, like those dials, just don't look as nice as the gen. In terms of the dial details, and the case, it looks okay, it's just the 'cramped' subdials which spoil it...

You need to do By-Tor's proper version...costs more...but hey, the results speak for themselves:

9a.jpg

Definitely. It's a gorgeous watch, every bit the equal of the gen. My one comment, would be that the subdials of the gen are a kind of charcoal grey, and the main dial is a very subtle off-white, bone, perhaps, where the rep appears to be pure black and white. Not a difference which would bother me, but something worth pointing out :)

Sadly, the cost is prohibitive for me. Both financially, due to my circumstances, but also by my own criteria... I could've bought the gen today for just over

No... the rep subdials are grey as well. It's my studio light exposure and contrasting on the photos that makes them appear black.

Here's a photo outside, which gives better idea of the subdial color. It's also a good size comparison to a 40mm gen GMT. Discovery doesn't wear that big.

comp1.jpg

No... the rep subdials are grey as well. It's my studio light exposure and contrasting on the photos that makes them appear black.

Here's a photo outside, which gives better idea of the subdial color. It's also a good size comparison to a 40mm gen GMT. Discovery doesn't wear that big.

comp1.jpg

In that case, it truly is a stunning replication of the original :good: You're quite right about the size, it really doesn't wear big at all, although the dial itself, is a good size :) I think the one thing which is really putting me off the watch, (besides the lack of funds :lol: )is the lack of lume on the dial (other than the tiny squares above the hour markers) and as visibility is one of my key requirements, I don't think it would fit those needs enough to get regular wear :( This is definitely a watch I want, but I think one I will have to classify as a 'maybe' with regards actually buying it...