When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

1680 Project advice

jjfesq

I have a MBW 1680 this is my first project watch

Previous owner put gen crown/tube and worked CG's

I have just bought this dial:1680 white dial

I have some questions:

1. Will the dial have to be modded in any way to be installed in my MBW or can the local watchmaker just do the swap?

2. did I pay a fair price? ($455)

3. also coming is a gen 127 crystal and a gen Insert.

4. Movement is ETA 2836 can I put gen hands?

Please help me out here experts.

PS Im leaning towards sending the whole thing to Ziggy to assemble and vintage the MBW hands but I am interested in the process and I dont want to bother Zig until Im ready to send.

John

I have a MBK 1680 this is my first project watch

Previous owner put gen crown/tube and worked CG's

I have just bought this dial:1680 white dial

I have some questions:

1. Will the dial have to be modded in any way to be installed in my MBK or can the local watchmaker just do the swap?

2. did I pay a fair price? ($455)

3. also coming is a gen 127 crystal and a gen Insert.

4. Movement is ETA 2836 can I put gen hands?

Please help me out here experts.

PS Im leaning towards sending the whole thing to The Zigmeister to assemble and vintage the MBK hands but I am interested in the process and I dont want to bother Rob until Im ready to send.

John

I will take a stab at this. The dial will need to be shaved slightly to fit in the MBW case. Can't comment on the price without seeing pics of the dial. The only hands that will fit are Tudor or after market hands.

I will take a stab at this. The dial will need to be shaved slightly to fit in the MBW case. Can't comment on the price without seeing pics of the dial. The only hands that will fit are Tudor or after market hands.

you can see the dial if you click on the link

Yes you would have to trim the dial - the MBW case is a copy from the 5513 case havign a slightly smaller diameter dial. Sadly, this will ruin your 450$ dial permanently. You will have one big flaw - the minute markers will be shorter because they will be covered by the rehaut more than usual. If you know somebody who can do it - let him trim the case rehaut and dial lip with a lathe slightly, so your 1680 dial will bea straight fit. You should think about something like that when moddig with 500$ parts - it will pay off.

Yes you would have to trim the dial - the MBW case is a copy from the 5513 case havign a slightly smaller diameter dial. Sadly, this will ruin your 450$ dial permanently. You will have one big flaw - the minute markers will be shorter because they will be covered by the rehaut more than usual. If you know somebody who can do it - let him trim the case rehaut and dial lip with a lathe slightly, so your 1680 dial will bea straight fit. You should think about something like that when moddig with 500$ parts - it will pay off.

I dont want to ruin the dial so I hope Ziggy can do it the way you suggest.

I guess I should send him a PM on this topic to make sure this is ok with him.

I'm not aware of Ziggy being able to machine the case of an MBW, but it never hurts to ask. The price you paid for the dial is OK, but I can't tell from the pic if there is a scratch between 7 and 8- Ziggy might be able to fix that.

I guess you keep looking for someone w/ lathe/machining capabilities, cause the NDT case runs $1K and a 1575 will go for another grand plus and insert, crown tube, and hands will easily put you up in the $2.5K range- $3K total, but then you'd have a very nice franken.

I'm not aware of Ziggy being able to machine the case of an MBW, but it never hurts to ask. The price you paid for the dial is OK, but I can't tell from the pic if there is a scratch between 7 and 8- Ziggy might be able to fix that.

OK, Is there anyone out there who has a person who can machine a case in the manner suggested?

I only have a watchmaker's lathe, no capability to machine anything like a case. (I won't repeat this in the PM, better here so everyone knows my capability)

I have trimmed many dials down to fit the cases, not easy and not without risk, essentially you have to grind down the outer edge...

RG

Ok Thanks ZIG, Unless I can get the case machined for you I will probably save or sell the gen dial and just request that you work your vintaging magic on the MBW dial.

JJ

Any case machiners out there please PM me :)