When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Gen Crown & Tube VS. Rep Crown & Tube ?

db1

I was wondering about this, as reps are becoming better and better each and evey year.

i was overusing the search window in the last few days, but could not find much (only very few posts without much detail)

what are the major diff. between gen rolex tube & crown vs. a rep tube & crown ?

db1

thanks for the tip!

other then looks- does it also feels better ? e.g. when screwing, unscrewing.. feels better quality?

ive seen SpinMaster's photo of a gen tube and rep tube side by side- they look so diff... like the gen tube is all diff and looks bigger...

Gen tubes are normally larger in diameter than the rep ones. The Euromariner will accept a gen crown without the gen tube. Also, some rep crowns are too large. Case in point the Noobmariner. The Euromariner crown is a close match but has a slightly different look to the nurled portion of the crown. Sorry no time for pics this time.

In terms of tubes... the actual length to screw in is longer which I assume will provide better water resistance. Also you get a better seal (4 o-rings rather then 3).

Yes it will screw in better as well. Usually reps have small burrs which inhibit the ability for the crown to screw in.

HOWEVER... tube replacement is a pain and pretty complicated. Be ready to countersink your case a break a few tubes BEST CASE. Worst case be ready to buy a new watch.

hey guys 10x for all the info!

i plan on doing a tube & crown mod sooner or later- still need to receive the parts, and the watch! lol... (hope silix took care of that all ready)

blue: are you sure about that? as much as i know from reading on various topics on the subject- replacing the tube requires re-tapping, a little countersink hole in the case hole so the tube will sit tight.

no one mentioned tubes being so fragile that it's easy to break them?

maybe i will also need to be gentle when screwing in a new tube?

about countersink the hole, can it be done with a "standard" drill ? or should i get one of these "special" flat-tip drills like they use in CNC etc?

thanks for all the advice!

DB1,

Good man you did your research!

Well I actually had a thread on how to replace the tube, let me point you there. For me I did not have to retap the tube (the gen threaded in just fine). and YES YES YES be careful because you will break the tubes.

http://www.rwg.cc/members/index.php?showto...157&hl=tube

My old thread.

hey blue thanks for the info!

i already ordered one set of gen rolex tube & crown from SpinMaster, i'll also get the correct tap from him.

found a 6mm tube tool on the bay for $39 (not shipped though) is that alright for this one?

sounds like expensive for a generic "screw-driver" type of tool - but maybe im wrong =]

i've seen a few members here that offer to heat the rep tube before trying to unscrew it- how should it be done?

with a lighter ? and how much to heat?

i dont wanna anodize the metal or have it get a "black" spot from heating it too much.

of course once i'll get into it, i'll do every step with extra coution - since im gonna have only one tube to fit =]

nice weekend to all :)

db1

As far as countersinking tubes go, the movement is not the issue. Whether to countersink the tube hole or not & how wide/deep it should be -- depends on the look YOU are after &, more importantly, the dimensions of your particular case & tube. I generally do not countersink, because I prefer the crown to sit a mm or so proud of the case (this is the way crowns often fit on vintage gens when fitted with current crowns/tubes). Others prefer a flush fit.

In the rare circumstance where you need to heat a case to remove a tube (I have only ever had to heat 1 case), use a hair dryer or run the case under hot water for a few minutes (of course with the movement removed). If that does not work, just remove the tube with a pair of pliers (& before you ask, use whatever type of pliers you want & use however much force is required - you are replacing the tube anyway).

wow lots of useful tips! thank you so much freddym any piece of info will make the procedure more straight forward for me =]

i already did, and know how to remove a movement, stem, etc.. but never tried to mod anything on a rep =]

thanks alot! any help is always a big help :)

Gen tubes are normally larger in diameter than the rep ones. The Euromariner will accept a gen crown without the gen tube. Also, some rep crowns are too large. Case in point the Noobmariner. The Euromariner crown is a close match but has a slightly different look to the nurled portion of the crown. Sorry no time for pics this time.

Agreed. I have a noobmariner TT which i love, and the crown has somewhat uneven plating... plus if you look at the inside edge of the crown, you can see where the plating stops. I already bought a gen crown and tube to switch out when I have the chance, and the Gen crown is slightly smaller but the gold on it is a sleeve of thick gold electro-bonded to the stainless steel, so it wont wear off for anywhere between 10-20 years if not longer.