When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Clarification queston...

houndoggie

Does this mean that the replica and genuine have interchangeable parts (bezel, crystal, etc)?

Or that dimensions are identical?

I couldn't find the answer elsewhere.

It depends on the rep. No hard and fast rules on this one, but a lot of them are just labeled that way because they're the same dimensions etc.

'1:1', 'perfect' & all similar marketing hyperbole is just that - marketing hyperbole. There are no reps that match their gen counterparts 100% & while there are a few very accurate cases (some MBWs & Vietnamese made cases come to mind), I would not assume that rep case parts are direct swaps for gens.

There are claims of interchangeable parts (including movement).....e.g. Concord C1. Visually...the watches are identical.

They say the same thing for the Skyland and a few others. You have to take these things with a grain of salt. They have Asian copies of ETA movements that look identical...until you start doing part replacements and realize they are almost identical...bu not close enough.

For the most part...1:1 supposed reps, will likely accept the major gen parts with little to no mods (never assume ZERO mods):

• Crystals
  • Dials
  • Bracelets/straps
  • Casebacks
  • Hands

But when you start working on stuff that requires really tight tolerances (e.g. case tubes, cannon pinions, gears, screws), you'll probably find out that 1:1 doesn't hold true anymore.

The term "1:1" is a marketing term. It means nothing.

Don't trust those who sell you stuff; trust the reviewers here. If an expert here says something takes gen parts, it takes gen parts. If a dealer says it takes gen parts, wait for the independent review before hunting for that gen bezel on eBay.

The term "1:1" is a marketing term. It means nothing.

Don't trust those who sell you stuff; trust the reviewers here. If an expert here says something takes gen parts, it takes gen parts. If a dealer says it takes gen parts, wait for the independent review before hunting for that gen bezel on eBay.

I see this 1:1 description used only on certain versions of replicas sold by very respected dealers on this site. That's why I wanted to know it's significance. So it is safe to say that 1:1 is just a marketing superlative like "supreme" or "perfect" or "best" or "ultimate", but in certain instance it can denote a relative ease of interchangeability between a rep and a gen?

I used to trust the term "1:1". All the pipe dreams I've had about buying these rep watches and mixing them with gen parts flew right out the window. To "rep" a term from Freddy, I believe in the marketing hyperbole time and time again.

I recently purchased a bezel for a certain watch advertised as a 1:1 copy and turns out that the bezel was too small.

So maybe you could call it a 1.003950271:1 replication.