When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

FGD 201a dial relumed... lume pic

projectologist

To each is own i guess... i personally never opted to put SL on a vintage project... still some people love it go with the flow ;)

PS that has to be the strongest lume i have ever seen on a rep watch or for that matter on a gen. (presumably its a stock photo)

Laz

Not a stock photo. The pics are of the rep, before and after, lights on, lights off.

I'm not a lume guy either, but the person I traded with is. My other 201a project/rep has weak, uneven lume.

Robert in SoCal

I hope you guys are referring to vintage PAMs, of which I have no experience with, because all reps PAMs, even with superlume jobs by Vac, don't come close to a gen in tersm of lume. That's one of the biggest reasons I let go of all my rep PAMs. I've been called out on my PAM reps on several ocassions due to the lack of lume. Gen PAM's literally glow like torches.

I hope you guys are referring to vintage PAMs, of which I have no experience with, because all reps PAMs, even with superlume jobs by Vac, don't come close to a gen in tersm of lume. That's one of the biggest reasons I let go of all my rep PAMs. I've been called out on my PAM reps on several ocassions due to the lack of lume. Gen PAM's literally glow like torches.

That makes no sense to me.

Genunine PAM's use standard Super Luminova C3, I use the same stuff, direct from RC Tritec, and I think Vaccume does also.

I have compered and have had many customers compare genuines with SL to my SL, and in each case my lume was as bright as the genuine watches.

SL is the best of the best, C3 is the brightest there is, so there can't be any difference...

On this model, I do agree with everyone, I have lumed one of mine, with my tritium mix, which has very little glow, just like real tritium.

RG

That makes no sense to me.

Genunine PAM's use standard Super Luminova C3, I use the same stuff, direct from RC Tritec, and I think Vaccume does also.

I have compered and have had many customers compare genuines with SL to my SL, and in each case my lume was as bright as the genuine watches.

SL is the best of the best, C3 is the brightest there is, so there can't be any difference...

On this model, I do agree with everyone, I have lumed one of mine, with my tritium mix, which has very little glow, just like real tritium.

RG

By no means am I an expert like yourself The Zigmeister, but I got a 201 that Vac worked on. One of my good buddy has a 111 and there was a noticable difference. Now I know that the 111 is a sandwich dial wich is usually brighter, but my 201 with superlume looked pathetic next to it. It didn't even seem to hold a candle next to the gen. Of course, this has just been my personal experience to date.

That's why I'm humbly waiting on the sidelines for you to open up your services to guys like myself. ;) (hint hint)

Nice watch..But having said that I don't understand the fascination with reluming these models. The gen dials don't glow anything like these so by doing this you are actually making the watch less acurate.

Ha!

Who cares, it looks awesome, besides, you cant even see the brand of the watch during the night, the the lume is AWESOME!

During the day its all authentic again.

Lume is king.

By no means am I an expert like yourself Ziggy, but I got a 201 that Vac worked on. One of my good buddy has a 111 and there was a noticable difference. Now I know that the 111 is a sandwich dial wich is usually brighter, but my 201 with superlume looked pathetic next to it. It didn't even seem to hold a candle next to the gen. Of course, this has just been my personal experience to date.

That's why I'm humbly waiting on the sidelines for you to open up your services to guys like myself. ;) (hint hint)

I am no expert either, just using the feedback and comments from others. Certainly I know that Super Luminova is the best and brightest of lumes available.

Thanks for the follow up. Indeed a sandwich dial will sometimes be brighter than a saussage one, normally PAM's, due to the amount of lume are very bright. Even the GMT PAM's which have a thin layer of SL (to allow the hands to clear the dial) glows quite bright.

The feedback I have got mostly indicated that the ones I applied SL to, were as bright, or in some cases brighter than the gen's. Interesting that yours was so dim compared to the 111...

RG

I have a gen 111 and it isn't any brighter than the great The Zigmeister relumes I have, other than the amount of lume the dial takes. My 196 isn't even close to the 111 but I wouldn't expect it to be due to the difference in lume amount applied.

The only real difference I can tell (which is small) is the gens have a bit more even glow, likely due to their automated luming process. The very slight changes in thickness of the lume makes a barely visable difference in some cases. But even that wouldn't be called out IMHO.

I just sent two of mine out for relume my 0004 PVD will have sterile sandwich dial with Blue Niterolume then my PAM118 Titanium will also have a sterilize sandwich dial face repainted in a satin slate gray with ultra bright white superlume.

To appear as gen........not hardly.

To look truly Bad Ass....Certainly.

Their mine and I'll keep 'em :D

Cheers,

Steve

The Zigmeister and Ztech you're both correct in your observations.

I would just add the reason gen sandwich dial PAM could sometimes appear it glows stronger than the superlumed rep is that the gen sandwich dial comes with bottom brass disc that's been machined to create wide indices beds for lume to be applied. They basicaly have grooves slightly wider than the top dial disc cutouts, provideing for thicker lume application and consequently more intensified luminosity and glow. All the rep snadwich dial bottom discs I've seen come flat, so the lume has to be applied in flattish 'sausage' style, so to speak.

Anyone else noticed this, or has similar experience?

cheers,

babola