When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Ebel 1911 Discovery - Any different versions?

tokei

Apologies if this a a basic question - are all the Ebel 1911 Discovery's that are being offered by all the dealers(collectors) from the same factory? It seems like all are offering the Panda (as reviewed by By-Tor) for about the same price (mid-high $300's).

I am deciding on which collector/dealer to buy this from...but seem to have some minor differences in pricing.

Thanks again! Boy - am I just adicted to this...very, very dangerous forum (for the wallet)! :p

Apologies if this a a basic question - are all the Ebel 1911 Discovery's that are being offered by all the dealers(collectors) from the same factory? It seems like all are offering the Panda (as reviewed by By-Tor) for about the same price (mid-high $300's).

I am deciding on which collector/dealer to buy this from...but seem to have some minor differences in pricing.

Thanks again! Boy - am I just adicted to this...very, very dangerous forum (for the wallet)! :p

I just ordered one from Eurotimez this week. Great communication and he does QC the watches before sending. He might be a little higher on price, but IMO the fact that he checks the watches before sending is worth it. Will post pics when I get it.

There is a $108 version available, but the most notable flaw, is that the sub-dials are too cramped together in the middle of the dial... It makes the dial look much less 'balanced' than the other version... If you're not desperate for 100% accuracy in replication, it might serve your needs :) I'd recommend the dealer at any rate, I buy virtually all my watches from him :) Best of luck with your search, the 1911 Discovery is a fantastic watch :good:

Am guessing the sub-dial spacing different is because that version has a quartz movement. Of course the price reflects that ... :D

To be honest, I don't have an issue with the subdial spacing being off if the watch still looks good. In the case of Speedmasters, to be honest, I like the wider subdial spacing...and it's harder to see as being off given that there are Speedmasters with the "reduced" case (a different movement too if I remember but I might be wrong without looking it up to confirm) with a "wider" subdial spacing look in the smaller size that looks similar in proportion to the full size Speedy rep.

In the case of the Discovery though, the spacing issues make the watch dial look all squished.

To be honest, I don't have an issue with the subdial spacing being off if the watch still looks good. In the case of Speedmasters, to be honest, I like the wider subdial spacing...and it's harder to see as being off given that there are Speedmasters with the "reduced" case (a different movement too if I remember but I might be wrong without looking it up to confirm) with a "wider" subdial spacing look in the smaller size that looks similar in proportion to the full size Speedy rep.

In the case of the Disovery though, the spacing issues make the watch dial look all squished.

Indeed, that's why I'd aim to save for a Discovery from Chris rather than Tony, although to be honest, given the state of my finances, it's likely not going to be for a very long time :lol:

Indeed, that's why I'd aim to save for a Discovery from Chris rather than Tony, although to be honest, given the state of my finances, it's likely not going to be for a very long time :lol:

Hang in there...it's hard when credit succombs...but going that route is a downward spiral to being raped by repo-men. Instead...pass your time being immersed in details, facts and everything else about the watches...so when the time does come...you'll be able to hit the ground running!

Thanks everyone for the feedback. I am certainly talking about the version that is also offered by Eurotimez...not the less accurate $100 quartz version which is visually off.

Anyways, it doesnt really seem like there are multiple versions of the $350+ version of the Discovery...only differentiator would be the QA process each dealer offers (from dropshipping to a more diligent QC). Please correct me if I am wrong...

Hang in there...it's hard when credit succombs...but going that route is a downward spiral to being raped by repo-men. Instead...pass your time being immersed in details, facts and everything else about the watches...so when the time does come...you'll be able to hit the ground running!

Oh absolutely. Right now, I'm in the state of no unnecessary purchases, so it's not so much a case of saving what I have now to buy soon(ish), but finding out the facts so, as you say when the time comes, I'll know precisely what to be looking for :)