When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Paypal question. Please assist

P4GTR

I haven't really sold anything on Ebay before, but ive used paypal for years. I have a "Premier" account. My TAG sold for $1075 on ebay, but when the funds were paid to me, there was a 21 day hold placed on them. "Until 3 days after delivery confirmation was made or positive Ebay feedback was left" it said. There was no way in hell I was shipping my watch to someone to do god knows what with and then possibly pulling the funds out from underneath me. So, the auction was cancelled until I can figure out something more secure for me. I've never heard anything like that before.

Heres the question. Was it because of Ebay? If I sell the watch on a forum, and someone just uses paypal to send me $1000, is that 21 day hold bypassed? Am I free to initiate transferring the funds to my checking account immediately? I have had an offer from a TZ member, but I am leary about how to collect before shipping. Anyone that understands this a little better would be greatly appreciated for explaining what options I have. Thanks!

sounds a tad strange to me. I've sold tones of stuff on eBay and never heard of this condition. Did you get this notice via e-mail or from a notice when you log into your PayPal account?

The status of the funds showed "held" in my paypal account. Luckily the buyer understood I was uncomfortable releasing the watch without payment, and we cancelled the deal. Apparently new sellers have to wait 21 days for paypal funds. Stupid policy; who's going to ship a gen for a 21 day trial period?

oops I dropped it on the concrete, thanks nevermind, funds withheld... That would be my luck.

There are always escrow services. You send the watch, buyer sends the cash. When all are satisfied, the escrow releases the money to you and the buyer has the watch.

Be careful, there are also some bogus escrow services out there.

I recently sold a bunch of stuff on ebay. I am on my third ebay account and third or fourth paypal account due to buyer chargebacks in the past. I have had two of those accounts to over 150 positive feedback and I am now forced to start all over again because of assholes on ebay.

Here is how it works with paypal now. If you have less than 100 feedback they will hold your funds on any ebay sale over $100 until one of the following happens:

1. 21 days pass

2. you receive positive feedback from the buyer

3. 3 days pass after the item was delivered.

This is paypals only way to fight seller fraud. I agree with it and dissagree at the same time. I have sold more than $4,000 worth of merchandise over the past two months and only had to call ebay once about an item where feedback was left and the funds weren't released. They checked it out and released the funds for me on the spot.

The two downsides are:

1. Tracking information isn't always updated on USPS or UPS. I suggest using Fedex for the higher priced items as their tracking info is the most reliable. The tracking is integrated to paypal so they know when an item is delivered.

2. People don't always leave feedback. I have received feedback 2 or 3 weeks after the fact and many times not at all.

The good news is that the holds only apply to ebay transactions. All other payments are available to you immediately so if you sell on a watch forum you will have your funds right away.