When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Best Way to Resell a Quality Datejust Replica

docta

Hi all! First off, I've been reading the rules and FAQ for the forum, but I'm pretty new to the lingo, etc so please bear with me.

I'm new to the forum here. Glad I could join, and it's great to see so many people actively involved here.

I've searched the forums here and still can't quite find a definitive answer to my question here.

I'm a college student, and when I ran into some money a while back, I purchased a beautiful, bluefaced (light striping on the face -- nice effect) Rolex Datejust from IdealWatches.com about a year ago. I've worn it a few times and it's still in pristine condition. I got the watch initially because I wanted one like my father's. His is the real deal. They're indistinguisable side-by-side, the only difference is that his has a gold face.

I'd like to keep it but I need the money, and can't justify holding onto it since I'm a pretty young guy.

My question is this:

What is the best avenue to follow in reselling a high-quality replica? What sort of percentage hit could I expect? Anything else I should know?

Any help is much appreciated, and I thank you in advance. If you have any more questions or suggestions then I'm all ears. Thanks and have a great day!

Thanks for the info, iceberg1459. Much appreciated! I had no idea this was a market to buy and sell watches too --- I assumed this was just a support forum of sorts.

slickdick, have you heard bad things? I was very pleased with their service -- so much so that I recommended it to two other friends and they were pleased too.

mreynolds767, thank you, too, for the advice. I actually considered eBay but I don't see any other replicas sold on there. I think it has something to do with the replica handbag fiasco of last year.

I'll look into my options and go from there. Again, thanks to all for the lightening fast replies. :)

Here are some quick snaps I took. This digital camera (Casio Exilim) is great for still shots but not so great for video. In the video you can make out the sweeping movement (ETA 27-Jewel -- super smooth) but it's fuzzy... I'll see what I can do about that. In the mean time here are some quick snaps I took. The camera picked up some dust I didn't see. I'll have to wipe it down better and take some more pics. I would love to hear some thoughts from the board! :-) Thanks again for the suggestions.

post-17877-1226433903_thumb.jpg

post-17877-1226433878_thumb.jpg

post-17877-1226433924_thumb.jpg

post-17877-1226433946_thumb.jpg

post-17877-1226433964_thumb.jpg

post-17877-1226433981_thumb.jpg

post-17877-1226434001_thumb.jpg

post-17877-1226434016_thumb.jpg

By the way -- that's the original box that it came in. I kept everything that came with it. I had 2 links removed because I have super skinny wrists. Those are obviously what is next to the watch in the last two frames.

Also,I had the links removed at our local Rolex dealer. He didn't bat an eye when he removed the links -- I like to think that it's because it's a quality replica. :-)

I will also try to borrow my father's Real Rolex and do some side by side shots. They are virtually indistinguishable in my opinion.

Shundi -- what's the significance of being able to remove the back with duck tape? I was told by the company only to use the Rolex back removal tool .

Hi Docta,

I am going to be the bad guy here, sorry :o

First, the site you bought it from is not really the forum's favourite...to say the least.

Second your photos aren't clear enough to make an opinion on the outside of your watch -_-

So I sincerely think you will not recover your investment...and would suggest to keep your watch B)

On top of this, whithout a 100% garantee about the movement, it's even more difficult.

If you're still reading, thanks for that, try to sell it in our sale/trade/fundraiser section.

But therefore you should upgrade your membership and gain some more posts and references to have a chance to sell it.

Again, sorry but I prefer to say things straight :)

Cheers

Stephane

Thanks for the honesty Stephane -- that is always much appreciated.

I'll see what I can do about the photos.

Why is that site not a favorite of yours? Any reason in particular?

I never imagined that I would get a full recovery on the investment and would be willing to take a hit on the price. I'm here to stay. Thank you for the welcome

Idealwatches grossly overcharges for their goods and has a spotty customer service record, at best. I bought a watch from them for my wife, a beautiful Rolex DJ with CZ's all over the place. Paid $1,000. I'd be lucky to get $180 for it now. Maybe $200 if I exercised my best photography skills.

The only way you'll recoup much of your money is to sell it to someone who is unfamiliar with replicas. But now that you're here, wouldn't you feel a tad bad about doing that, knowing that it's worth far less than you paid.

P.S. I also have a $1,050 YM I bought from a different "scam" site. Gorgeous watch. A real beauty. But I got ripped off.

What did you pay for it?

IdealWatches is considered a scam site by most people here, I believe. If it is a Swiss ETA movement it would be 25j, not 27j.

This is just my opinion but I'll throw it out anyway. That watch with Swiss movement would be about $180 to $220 from most dealers. A little more with the box. With some good pictures and proven Swiss movement, your probably going to be able to get somewhere around $125 to $175 unless you get lucky.

So, is this good news or bad?

Without good, clear pics of both the dial & movement (showing the engraving below the balance), I think the watch is worth $75-$125. With pics (to verify the watch contains an ETA movement - unfortunately, pics cannot verify whether the movement is a gen or clone though), its value increases $50 or so. Of course, value & selling price do not always coincide.

That's about what I excepted, AllergyDoc. I paid $750 for my DJ... ouch :-) I had done a lot of research and decided that was the most reputable site. Wish I had found this place! :rolleyes:

Rough learning, docta.

I have been one of the lucky (probably more critical than lucky, actually) who found this site before I bought my first rep. I have invested "a lot" in three extraordinary Rollies the last few days, and probably must/will sell a few of my "standard" reps the coming weeks. Guess I will be able to obtain appr 2/3 of what I paid. Thanks to helpful advices on this forum, dosen of hours forum-reading and fair and respected dealers/collectors I bought from.

If you like the watch and can come by without selling at $100++, consider keeping it. No loss before you have sold you know.........

Post a few pictures of it! Any movement shots> (Can you use duct tape to get the case back off? The experts will let you know!

i like this watch but i will give not more than 130$ incl. Box when it is ok i take it how can we handle it?

kindest regards Mike

take this as a lesson and think about all the money you'll "save" on this forum in the future! ;) keep this watch as your first rep ever, you will not get much for it anyway.

That's about what I excepted, AllergyDoc. I paid $750 for my DJ... ouch :-) I had done a lot of research and decided that was the most reputable site. Wish I had found this place! :rolleyes: