When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Asthetically, the best Rolex OTB?

disko

I work in the security industry to put myself through a tertiary degree. This entailed humble beginnings in bars and nightclubs, through to state and federal government facilities and recently, I've been picking up covert work for very 'high end of town' clients. The emphasis is on being invisible at extremely prestigious events (usually being introduced as a 'marketing consultant' or 'the rep from the interstate office'), and being able to intervene at short notice if anyone interferes with the goods too excessively (which is quite necessary when a model may be wearing, say, $80k to $140k in diamonds, and the wealthy client, used to getting what they want, to grab at it) or making the error of trying to run off with it.

The other night, I was backstage at a product launch, booted and suited, and I was pretty soon picked out as security. It was after someone remarked on my watch, that I realised that everyone else in the room was wearing a Rolex... despite a good suit, 'trendy' prescription glasses and expensive cologne, the large Seiko automatic diver may have been a little bit of a give away (I assume that was the case, as noone's ever noticed my holster :p), hence my renewed interest in reps.

I bought an SMP because its the watch I've always wanted, however, now I'm setting my sights on a Rolex for work functions and meetings. Now, I think of myself as a watch person, I demanded (and received) my first swatch for my birthday when I was 6 or so, and have owned Casios, Seikos and Citizens over the years since. However, I'm not an EXPENSIVE watch person. I know I quite like Omegas and Rolexes, but I wouldn't know a correct crown guard from an incorrect one, but the clients will know the difference.

I'm after a Rolex which will look good out of the box for reasonable money. I quite like the Submariners, Sea Dwellers, and I'm not phased by getting a 'vintage' sub, so long as it'll pass for a gen at a cursory look. It doesn't have to have an ETA movement, Asian 21J is fine... it does, however, need to pass for the real deal to a reasonably well trained eye. We're not talking about a 'sale' type inspection, or needing to have a perfect caseback... essentially, it needs to not screa 'rep' if you happen to let your eyes rest on it for a minute while you have a conversation with me.

The reason I'm asking for the help is that there is infinitely more experience on this forum through the combined knowledge of all the flaws in various reps that I will invariably overlook something which seems trivial to me but which is blatantly obvious to someone who is familar with Rolexes.

Any assistance which can be provided would be greatly appreciated.

Expanding on Alligoat's recommendation, my 1st choice would be an all-steel, silver dialed Datejust with fluted bezel & plain bar markers - the classic Rolex

1.jpg

Or a basic black-dialed Explorer

DSC_0004.jpg

A plain-Jane Rolex gets the point across without screaming it (which makes it less likely that your rep will be ID'd).

gents..

the IHS eta GMT IIc (the new full ceramic) will do the trick, dial is good movement is good watch looks brilliant and expensive.

or the the BK WM9, no idea what he do wrong there. 99.99 will not ever see anything wrong with it.

And it will probably last a life time and will never go out of fashion.

Btw Disko, watch the shoes if you do not want to stand out.

Comfy rubber soled shoes, or thick soled shoes will easily give you away..

PM some pics if you need some input.

While I have some insight into the whole "security" thing I will say this about which watch..... I would go with a plain SS Datejust. I would stay away from any of the sport models that looks like a "tool watch".

Sometimes no matter what you do people always seem to think certain people are cops. I am former LEO and I get this all the time and I havent been a cop in over 10 years. I am actually an Account Executive but people are always asking me if I am a cop. Recently with all the election stuff that happen I went to a few political events and people thought I was Secret Service so getting through the big crowds was easy...lol

OK back to the watch...Get yourself a nice all SS DJ and I think you would fit in fine.

BTW anytime you wear a Rolex people assume it is fake...lol However in the right place people would not think that, like at your high end functions. Also most of these "hig end" folks would not know the difference unless they were in the watch business. Most rich folks just wear the watch they dont know all the different models and such. Only us repgeeks and true watch nuts really know the difference. 98% of the people on the street could not tell if it was fake or not even if they did own a Rolex.

Edited by RJR