When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

A Difficult Choice

RobbieG

For the final thread in my "Choose Wisely" series, I thought it a fitting end to ask ourselves the unthinkable which is if today you heard that all production of all watches (gens and reps of course) was going to cease in 30 days forever and each of us could pick ONE watch that would be the only one we ever had for the rest of our lives what would you choose and why? Also in keeping with the old rules it must be a watch that you could realistically buy in 30 days even if it meant selling something else or whatever to pay for it. In other words, no double tourby's unless you could and would buy one if this ever happened

Man I found this one really tough of course because you have to make a commitment to leaning towards sporty or dressy and blingish or toolish. I found the most honest way to choose was to first decide what situations do I really feel the need to wear a watch and what am I doing and wearing, etc. at those times. Since I tend to really enjoy wearing watches when going out for dinner, traveling and doing alot of the same, etc. I tend to be wearing long sleeve dressy kind of shirts with jeans or slacks in those situations. I also dress like that for client meetings, etc. When I'm truly casual and wearing shorts and T's bumming around I always wear a watch, but I never think like I have to have one on to complete the ensemble or must be keeping critical track of time, etc. so I figured I would have to make the sacrifice there.

So I came up with the need for a nice comfortable watch that goes with everything and isn't too big, but is also not terribly common - like everyone doesn't have the same watch even if they have something similar. It must be a very practical choice and not easy to commit to, but if I'm honest about when and how I most enjoy wearing watches it got a lot easier. The really big watches were very easy to rule out as well as the don't all fit under all sleves and some are just too obnoxious outside of the sleeve for every occasion. I basically asked myself when I most like putting on a nice watch and it is when I'm in Vegas on vacation and getting dressed for a really nice dinner with my girl and I'm probably wearing an Armaini or Zegna shirt with nice cufflinks. When I think what watch would consistently put a smile on my face for the ages in that situation the choice is clearer. Plus I'm getting older and this watch should probably suit a middle aged guy in my demographic group. Not to put too fine a point on it but hey, I live in South Florida right?

It almost has to be a DayDate President for me objectively. It was a toss up between that and The UN MMD for me, but I had to give the edge to the DD because it is more timeless and more versatile. The MMD is really cool but I don't feel like it would go with anything or every situation. It is blingy but it is also big and I don't always want to feel like my watch draws that much attention. The DD goes with everthing and will never go out of style. It is blingy for sure, but because it is smaller the bling isn't obnoxious but just classsy. And choosing the platinum version with the glacier/ice blue dial makes it all the more special...

I will look forward as always to seeing what you all choose and even more fun will be learning why. Sorry for the detail but I just wanted to illustrate the level of thought that it would really take if you ever had to make that choice. Funny how you pick things you wouldn't think you would when you consider your needs objectively.

Iceblue.jpg

You have no idea. It was much worse. I was buying 25K gens no so long ago because I liked they way they looked in pictures. At least now I'm going the other way and considering less watches more carefully.

So...which watch would you choose, or are you going to abstain from participation in this one? Do humor us if you would kind sir...

RobbieG you've got it bad. Might have to hit rehab.

For me, I think it would have to be this one:

650ce4b9.jpg

DSCN0380.jpg

The issue of it being rep or gen doesn't come into my mind, simply because I have this one, which I bought with inheritance from when my gran died. Rep or not, this watch will always have sentimental value for me. If I bought a new gen 2531.80, then it might be gen, but it wouldn't be the watch I bought with my inheritance, so no sentimental value whatsoever...

Okay, onto my other reasons, as sentimentality is not always the best way to make a decision... It's a water-resistant divers watch on an SS Bracelet. I will never have to worry about getting it wet, as I know the case is water-resistant. It's on SS, so I don't have to worry about a leather strap getting wet and rotting, even if the watch itself (such as my Radiomir) could survive the dunking... The watch is versatile. It looks good with a suit, but also looks good with jeans and a T-Shirt. To put it simply, the watch looks good period. The color of the bezel and dial adds to it's visual appeal. In dimly lit conditions, or from a distance, it can look black, so subtle. When well lit, or fired by sunlight, the blue iridescence of the bezel is astonishing, but in a subtle, understated way. It has a WOW factor, but it's subtle. It's like comparing a Spyker, to a Ferrari. Both catch the attention, but one does it subtly, the other slaps you in the face...

Onto other reasons... Mechanics/functionality... It has a date window, a second hand, and minute indices, so precision time-keeping is a possibility, even if it is not always a necessity. Try that with a Radiomir ;) The bracelet is well engineered, as is the clasp, which is sturdy and functional, but aesthetically pleasing. The diver's extension is easier to deploy than a Submariner diver's extension, and made to the same sturdy standard as the primary clasp.

Why else do I like this watch? Well, it's worn by James Bond :lol: On a more serious note, it's also worn by Prince William. Now, I'm no Royalist, and the Prince is hardly an idol of mine, but, he's worn an Omega Seamaster for years, both as a civilian, and while a member of the armed forces. The fact he's carried on wearing it while in the forces, rather than getting a G-Shock to smack around, shows either utter indifference to the watch, or a real appreciation for its capabilities. Given the kind of crazy money he could afford to be dropping on a watch, I think his choice shows the Omega to be an all round 'good watch'. How does that play into the rep/gen debate, well, to be honest, I've never felt the rep to be inferior to the gen, Infact, I've seen a gen SMP for sale with defects on the bezel insert which many here would complain about on a rep... Might the Japanese movement in mine crap out and die? Sure it could. If it does, I'll replace the movement... Cheaper for me to do that than to buy a whole new watch, and probably cheaper than Omega might charge to service the watch (definitely cheaper than what Rolex would charge to service a watch ;) ) At first, I loved Rolex, but when I read John B. Holbrook II's comparitive review, I was immediately swung over to Omega, and my appreciation for the brand has never faded. Sure, I might've gone through the PAM Phase, and not given the Omegas any wrist time, but, my appreciation for them has always remained, and I simply can't say the same about Rolex... Once I tried on a gen Sub, my expectations of them were destroyed, and as a company, they have never impressed me enough with regards evolving technology like AR coatings, Superluminova, or re-designing the flimsy Oyster clasps... (until very recently)...

So yeah... Omega SMP for me, all the way :good:

Robbie, since you first posed the 'Three watch' question, I've been debating selling off the majority of my collection :lol: The only thing stopping me, is that I know I won't make enough money from the sales to make it truly worth my while :lol: That said, if it's broke me out of my PAMophilia, that can only be a good thing ;):good: Have a good weekend, my friend :)

Interesting. So you would choose a 5002 over your gen PAM and your gen PO huh? Cool. Surprised you haven't snagged at least a gen 5004 by now - or do you only like the 5002? Anyway, I knew you loved BP's but I didn't expect that it would be your "only one" choice for some reason.

india whiskey charlie ...

IWCBP5002.jpg