When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

GMT IIc a super Rep?

Newdoc

I know, I know.... It's great. The quality is like nothing we've ever seen....Everyone loves it....

but can you really call it a super rep with the blatantly obvious rehaut flaw??

It's like an incorrect datefont that you can't correct!!!

Anyone who has a gen or knows what one looks like could spot it right off.

Im still just bitter about it because I waited for it so long, and I still won't get one. But seriously???!!!!??

Boomer Sooner

Always something brother. We just have to take the little things in stride or be constantly bummed. The only way around it is to buy the gen if you love a watch that much. The ceramic GMT is easily desribed as a super rep with room to spare and I still say that after having owned the gen for a time. I didn't love the watch enough personally to justify keeping it when I decided to start thinning my gen collection, but now the rep is back on my list as I think it is easily accurate enough to justify its cost. In other words I only liked it at $6K but I love it at $300. Many watches have been the other way around and I just can't live without the gen because I loved the rep so much.

My suggestion to you is to maybe look at the best reps that way and think of them in terms of value for the money. It may help you live with the flaws easier. Keep in mind that these factories wouldn't be able to make the money they do if they made perfect watches. They are certainly capable. They want flaws to keep customers chasing the latest greatest that never comes. Genius really. So my advice is just enjoy them for what they are and stay out of the flaw game - unless you are a modder who loves the project of assembling different parts to make the one best version. I realize you can't do that wih the watch you speak of - yet. But who knows, one day they correct the rehaut on a subsequent version but they will purposefully ruin something else on that version instead. Genius. So now everyone buys it again just to rob the case and swap the other parts over. Now they sold two watches to a bunch of people. Look at the Planet Ocean saga. That is the best recent example of what I speak of. Silly. After a bit I just refused to chase it aand bought the gen. I loved the watch so much I decided I need not live with any flaws. If I didn't do that I would have all told bought three rep versions and bought gen parts and done the necessary lume and AR before it was over.

So if you truly love a watch get the gen. If not just embrace the chase and play the waiting game for fixes. It just unfortunately comes with the rep territory my friend.

Always something brother. We just have to take the little things in stride or be constantly bummed. The only way around it is to buy the gen if you love a watch that much. The ceramic GMT is easily desribed as a super rep with room to spare and I still say that after having owned the gen for a time. I didn't love the watch enough personally to justify keeping it when I decided to start thinning my gen collection, but now the rep is back on my list as I think it is easily accurate enough to justify its cost. In other words I only liked it at $6K but I love it at $300. Many watches have been the other way around and I just can't live without the gen because I loved the rep so much.

My suggestion to you is to maybe look at the best reps that way and think of them in terms of value for the money. It may help you live with the flaws easier. Keep in mind that these factories wouldn't be able to make the money they do if they made perfect watches. They are certainly capable. They want flaws to keep customers chasing the latest greatest that never comes. Genius really. So my advice is just enjoy them for what they are and stay out of the flaw game - unless you are a modder who loves the project of assembling different parts to make the one best version. I realize you can't do that wih the watch you speak of - yet. But who knows, one day they correct the rehaut on a subsequent version but they will purposefully ruin something else on that version instead. Genius. So now everyone buys it again just to rob the case and swap the other parts over. Now they sold two watches to a bunch of people. Look at the Planet Ocean saga. That is the best recent example of what I speak of. Silly. After a bit I just refused to chase it aand bought the gen. I loved the watch so much I decided I need not live with any flaws. If I didn't do that I would have all told bought three rep versions and bought gen parts and done the necessary lume and AR before it was over.

So if you truly love a watch get the gen. If not just embrace the chase and play the waiting game for fixes. It just unfortunately comes with the rep territory my friend.

i might end up doing that with the IIc

on the other hand I have a 16610 on the way and enough gens to keep me busy. I really do not need..

oh well who "needs" more then one tool watch :-))

Yeah, I guess I sounded a little brash, but here's the thing.

If there were multiple flaws, like the CG's on the MBW's, terribly inaccurate face, bad crown, stickers on rotors...etc... on a rep that I loved, I would still go for it and get started modding it. The rehaut is not fixable, though. Am I wrong?

• 3 weeks later...

The Wrong hand stack version is quite reliable (the CHS version is the ticking time bomb) and I agree with RobbieG: I mean...are you serious?? You are getting a fantastic watch for $300 and complaint? come on...

You either hang out with rich people/Rolex Experts or nobody will ever notice, so it depends on the crowd you hang out with in the end...