When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Waiter... there is too much paprika on my papricache

freddy333

Well I'm no expert but I have never seen a dial look quite like that on a 6542. The edges of the indices outlined looks weird to me. I know some are but these seem a little too boldly "outlined". The hands look right as does the bezel assembly though. I wasn't aware of a red date font either. In any event, this is the only fairly complete resource link about the 6542 watches I have ever found on the web...

http://doubleredseadweller.com/gmt.htm

Well I'm no expert but I have never seen a dial look quite like that on a 6542. The edges of the indices outlined looks weird to me. I know some are but these seem a little too boldly "outlined". The hands look right as does the bezel assembly though. I wasn't aware of a red date font either. In any event, this is the only fairly complete resource link about the 6542 watches I have ever found on the web...

http://doubleredseadweller.com/gmt.htm

I am no expert either, but I do beleive that early GMTs' did have "roulette" date wheels (alternating black and red numbers). There are a couple of things I don't like about the dial, the Rolex fonts looks weird (the "O" looks abnormally wide) and the white outline around the date window. I am not saying its not authentic, just that its like nothing I have ever seen before on an early GMT. Other than that, everything looks the part. I'll put it this way, if someone were to offer it to me, I'd be glad to give it a good home :D

And making it all a lot more difficult is the poor photography (no, I didn't say it was on purpose).

The barrel distortion from using a too-short focal length just upsets the whole look.

The resolution and color are a joke.

Most of us here on the board get far better offhand photos than this, without a lot of effort.

To me, the overall carelessness of the photography is the most disturbing aspect.

Carl

Some good hits, but this may help -

The bezel/insert are from MY (same parts I have on my 6542). The dial is a relumed rep watch dial, but I cannot find the rep watch seller's site right now. A clue to the mismatch between the dial & case is that the hands are too long for the dial. I had considered using the same dial, but I ultimately decided against it after receiving a better dial from an ebay seller....& then decided against using that dial after receiving MY's, which is the best aftermarket 6542 I have found (including NDTrading's). The crystal could be gen, but may also be Helfands or another aftermarket pressing. The case is NDTrading with poorly drilled lug holes (some of the holes look too new & not drilled very evenly).

Finally, there is usually a reason why an 'Authentic Rolex GMT master 6542' is being offered for sale without an equally Authentic Rolex GMT master 6542 bracelet.....& it is not because the bracelet got lost or damaged (there are no accurate aftermarket vintage bracelets for the 6542 & the seller did not want to spend several hundred dollars on a gen). This is a case where God is in the details

6542jubilee0161.jpg