When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

the best time to buy a rep?

JCYL

Like computers and many other things in the world, rep watches improve year after year, with people talking about different generations of some popular watch models like rolex submariner for example. Everytime I wanna buy a new watch I can't help thinking that an improved version may come out shortly. This mentality renders me unable to buy anything in the end. -_-

anyone else shares this sort of mentality? :rolleyes:

i still haven't purchased my first rep watch; maybe i'll change after having got a truly nice rep.

Aaaah young Grasshopper...until you have your first good rep in your hands, you will not know that the time that is right is NOW!!!!

I used to think in the early days that maybe I should wait for the improved version, but sometimes this happens, and sometimes it doesn't. Today's reps are probably 30% or more MORE than they were a couple years ago...but they are HEAPS improved in terms of construction...but now dodgier in terms of ensuring quality movements.

Some reps stop getting made and become pseudo-collector items (as much as that can be in this underground industry...e.g. Ti Breitling Chrono Avenger). Some reps get "improved" but are in fact worse (e.g. 3717-01/03 where the 3-6-9 markers are too fat and the lume applied to the wrong spots). Some reps actually get improved but at a price point that may not agree with you (e.g. Skyland Blacksteel early versions in PVD were somewhere around $260, but the new ones with improved dial and proper blackening are well over $400) so the improvement becomes irrelevant for you.

So...if something is meeting your fancy now, read about the flaws in the reviews or posts on the item, do your own research and find out what you can/cannot tolerate, and buy it, as it may not be there in a few months.

good advice from the toad -- sometimes it's better to wait, sometimes it's not :rolleyes:

honestly, i normally go on my gut feel -- you can normally get a sense for watches that are close enough on the first go-round that they aren't going to bother making it any more accurate. others that have multiple big glaring flaws initially and are a potential big seller if they get it right, well those i typically wait for.

hope this helps :victory:

deltatahoe