When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

removing lume from dials and hands

docdoc

I have overpainted dial markers with Noctilumina in the past, but you need to be careful of maintaining clearance between the markers and the hands. I have tried to remove the lume from metal insert markers using a pin. DISASTER "do not try this at home", it marks (and even removes) the chrome finish (good job I tried it on a junker dial first). I would also like to know if anyone has advice for how to achieve this successfully.

For removing the lume from the hands, I have just dipped them in paint stripper. Works a treat and takes just a couple of seconds! (have a look at the 1655 report in my sig)

I have overpainted dial markers with Noctilumina in the past, but you need to be careful of maintaining clearance between the markers and the hands. I have tried to remove the lume from metal insert markers using a pin. DISASTER "do not try this at home", it marks (and even removes) the chrome finish (good job I tried it on a junker dial first). I would also like to know if anyone has advice for how to achieve this successfully.

For removing the lume from the hands, I have just dipped them in paint stripper. Works a treat and takes just a couple of seconds! (have a look at the 1655 report in my sig)

be careful with painted hands though.

I did that once and and also the paint got removed (obviously)

I had to paint them again but the problem was that the lume didn

remove the lume by using a sharpened matchstick- wood will not damage the surface under the luminous compound--regards watchmakermichael

Learning how to apply lume and have it look nice is a learned artistic skill.

Your first attempts are going to end up in most likely a mess, especially if your not trained to work and handle parts under a loupe. Just using a loup is also an aquired skill.

If you do decide to give it a go, get an old dial, actually a bunch of dials, before you attempt it on a good watch. And practice, practice and continue to practice...

You shouldn't remove the existing lume from the dial, not only do you risk damaging the dial there is no reason for it to come off.

Hands are cleaned of lume by pressing the old lume out of the cutout, and then scraping the remaining lume off the back of the hands with an xacto knife.

Honestly, if you only need a few dials and hands done, your time and money are best spent paying someone else to do the work.

RG

Your first attempts are going to end up in most likely a mess, especially if your not trained to work and handle parts under a loupe. Just using a loup is also an aquired skill.

If you do decide to give it a go, get an old dial, actually a bunch of dials, before you attempt it on a good watch. And practice, practice and continue to practice...

You shouldn't remove the existing lume from the dial, not only do you risk damaging the dial there is no reason for it to come off.

Hands are cleaned of lume by pressing the old lume out of the cutout, and then scraping the remaining lume off the back of the hands with an xacto knife.

Honestly, if you only need a few dials and hands done, your time and money are best spent paying someone else to do the work.

RG

Great advice and words of wisdom from the lume-master...

Thanks The Zigmeister for the beautiful work! :notworthy:

Reluming hands is easy enough that most people can do it with just a bit of practice. I find it easier to remove the existing/old lume either by running the hands through an ultrasonic or, if you do not have that, a can of spray paint remover will do just as well. Follow the instructions on the paint remover can, but do a final clean with denatured alcohol (mineral spirits, which you can get from most hardware stores). Apply the new lume to the back of the hand using a toothpick. I simply coat the end of the toothpick with a drop of lume & then, beginning at the tip of the hand, run the side (not the tip) of the toothpick down the back of the hand until you reach the bottom of the lume hole. If the lume does not cover the entire hole after the 1st swipe, let it dry a bit & repeat until you reach the desired result.

Reluming dials, on the other hand, is difficult & requires special skill. Unless you are an artist, I would not waste time practicing. Just let someone like Ziggy do the work for you.

RG

Regarding your amazing job on some Cousteau dial you did, I would definetively ask you to do it. Bu I am in europe and sending the watch light be risky :(

• 3 years later...