When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

How often are you called out about your rep?

chompawompa

Never been called out, but I also only wear the "ultimate" reps.

Plus most people I work with don't know all that much about watches. The ones that do don't really wear my style of watches. They know more about Rolex and some of the smaller Breitlings. Nothing much about my Breitling SA or my Omega PO 45.5mm.

It think it would be really entertaining if somebody said I was wearing a rep. I'd ask them to tell me what brought them to that conclusion. They would ask me to take off the watch - I'd say no. Why should I take off the watch for you to inspect if you could already "tell" it was a fake. They'd go floundering and flopping around, and then I'd take it off, and hand it over. And they probably won't find squat. If they do I'd just say "good eye" and talk some watches!

All the people i work with know i wear and collect reps so even when i am wearing a gen they assume it is a rep, wors feeling is when i am waering something i have made my self like my observer/pilot watch and they still think it is a rep, ok thye are half right as most pilots watches based on a couple of WW2 designs but they are not reps like we collect here.

I got called out once, in a supermarket (of all places). "Is that a Fiddy, wow" from a guy waring a gen Anonimo. "Yeah" I said, "I made the strap myself"... I work with a very nice Swiss guy from Geneva, see him every day. He does se my watches (that I change ever so frequently), but he never made any comments. He either doesn't know about watches or he is too shy to ask... :)

The only time anyone said anything, a guy at work said something about my fake Rolex to one of my coworkers............the funny thing is I only wear my GEN to work :D

I'm sure you all know what kind of person I'm talking about .....He also refured to my C2S Porsche as a cheap Volkswagen :crazy: What A Guy!

Cheers,

Steve

Never.

The amount of knowledge about watches in the wild is widely overestimated. None of my many gen-wearing friends could tell a quality rep from a gen. Having said that, if you are a teenager or a bum wearing a ROO, people might start thinking that somethings fishy just as they would if your were driving a Porsche....

yet to happen

most folk around me don't care or can't tell ... life is too busy i guess

It's true. The couple that do are excited about watches in general...own gens and want to get into reps knowing that I do both.

That is what is nice about RWG, that you can take a relatively obscure hobby (meaning the PASSION for watches, rare collectibles, vintages, vintagizing, modding, tinkering, accuracy, ephemera, etc vs. just being able to buy what you want) and share it with piles of like-minded folks from noobs with an initial interest, to veterans with heaps of experience and knowledge.