When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Plate on the back of A7750 spins. Normal?

Guest Dr.TuB

When i manually wind my watch, the plate (movable plate has the Chopard sticker and Mille Miglia engraving) on the back of the A7750 movement spins

Is this normal?

0893f41cb14dcfb8d45f1c8dd576d6ecima.jpg

That "plate" is called the rotor--it is normal for this to spin when you manually wind the watch. Also, when you wear the watch--this spins and that's what automatically winds/powers your watch. In fact, it is advised that you never manually wind your watch

The watch was serviced recently by TomHighway.

not sure why it acts like this... maybe damaged during shipping or maybe it is just how its suppose to act?

any other people can chime in on this?

No. Your movement needs servicing, or wear it and let it auto wind. Don't manually wind it, you'll break it pretty quickly.

so im not suppose to hand wind my a7750?

how else am i suppose to get it to start? i thought you need to give the crown a couple of turns before you move the watch in a swirling motion.

No, the rotor should not spin during winding. You really shouldn't manually wind automatic movements as this is usually the result. I believe that you have stripped the winding gear, which will need to be replaced.

Yea I heard you can wind and wind, because when its fully done the clutch or whatever its called will engage and you can hear it clicking......

You cant OVERwind them.

I just gave my auto a wind, with the glass back, and the rotor never moved (well maybe a fraction) nothing major though a fraction of a mm.

And, yes both andreww and toad beat me to it, again, blasted !

Heck...I'll beat The Zigmeister answering the question with his own answer even. ;)

Why Handwinding an A7750 is Bad

Dr. TuB...check out my Noob Guide. It contains links to a number of helpful posts...lots of them The Zigmeister's that explain the best way to take care of your movement, how to use the watch, etc.

Hey...you didn't upgrade to Supporter just to be left in the dark now did you? B)

The rotor should spin when you move/shake/wear your watch. If it does NOT spin when you move/shake/wear your watch, your watch needs service.

Read this.

Thank you very much!

Obviously, at the thought that my "1 hour new watch" had problem, I wasn't able to read the topic clearly. Or my english is that bad... :D

lastly please DO NOT shake your watch to get it started

all you have to do is place it in your palm face down and twirl it around in circles gently ... that'll get the rotor spun enough to start the movement, then put it on your wrist and wear it proudly

I didn't know it!

Thank you very much.