When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Franken Submariner (16610)

ubiquitous

Just an FYI.

Andrew's asian/eta subs (the ones with the good CGs), take an oem or aftermarket insert as is. The bezel insert on those has the same profile as a gen.

A kind of 91146-28277.png shape.

I assume Paul's and PT's "ultimate" subs are they appear to be the same watch.

Did someone say OEM insert? :3a:

91345-28236.jpg

91345-28237.jpg

91345-28238.jpg

So excited! They glow like torches. The modern 16610 is definitly going on a project similar to this (unless I wake up with a PM that it is on the block :) ) I think I may use the "TW Best Classic" case though with the lug holes. However that it will pop into Andrew's case is somewhat exciting and I may go that way... or just wait to see what new subs are out after my vacation next week. The 1680 vintage one is going on the block in "for sale" soon though; I abandoned that project :(

Mmmmm... Inserts...

91380-28216.jpg

Thanks guys... If this goes on the market, I'll let you guys know first :) I'm not big into modern Roles, but I may hang onto this one for a bit.

E- I simply reused the old ETA stem with this one. Worked perfect- Not too long, not too short.

And... Special thanks goes to Puggy and By-Tor for their advice in photography! :1a:

There were several reasons. First, I think one of the best things about reps is that they allow one to try out a lot of watches. The 1680 turned out to be a watch I simply didn't like. While I am past college, I still am relatively young and just felt silly with the vintage model on. I say this despite the fact that it is actually a very popular watch right now; Polo & J. Crew both have a rep or gen 1680 they are using on their models for photo shoots. It was also a little too new looking for me to be a vintage and I just coudn't bring myself to give it the scrapes and dents it needed. I also didn't particularly care for the way the watch felt to me, a little toy-ish. The bi-directional bezel bugged the hell out of me, I much prefer the click bezel of the 16610 since I consider it a great safety/functionality improvement as a diver. Furthermore, I had a bad experince with joe (no work performed, just the wait got a little long for me and the communications were lacking), so I didn't have anyone to do the work on the crownguards I wanted done (I think I may do my 16610 myself).

In the end, I simply didn't like the watch. It is a beautiful watch; I had always admired your pictures. I met a man in Napa valley outside the French Laundry, ex-attorney, who owned his own vineyard that had an original one he purchased new many years ago. That pushed me over the edge and I orded a MBW. However, the bi-directional bezel pushed me over the edge and I felt silly with such a perfect vintage on. I wore the watch every day to work for a week or two, but after that I found myself reaching for my 111h or another pam over the 1680, and at that point I knew it just wasn't going to do me a bit of good. It is a great watch, it just wasn't for me. However I appreciate the help and advice you and others gave me on it though. In the end, I sold it at RWI for what I paid for it to someone who didn't want to deal with luckyyy. It was somewhat of a surprise for me that I didn't like it, I have always liked anything in its classic form and own several nice pieces of history, but this just wasn't the watch for me. The glory is also in the chase; once I had the watch and the parts I was able to better evaluate what I wanted.

Sir

Very intresting but In your experience is not exist a seller that have nice replicas, is necessary to assemble parts to have a good replica? I will buy a Eddie replica, but I have not experience and disponibility of parts to a labour that you on your sub. Have a counseil for me ?Thanks

Damm Ubi,

very nice work have you done..

This one looks awesome...

Great watch....

I have done this with my old MBW 16610 too.....

91499-28192.jpg

91499-28193.jpg

91499-28194.jpg

91499-28195.jpg

91499-28196.jpg

The TWG Sel Band is great for this watch....

Very good work....

I like it a lot...

RG tribal

Edited by Tribal

Sir

Very intresting but In your experience is not exist a seller that have nice replicas, is necessary to assemble parts to have a good replica? I will buy a Eddie replica, but I have not experience and disponibility of parts to a labour that you on your sub. Have a counseil for me ?Thanks

Yes, that is correct. The replicas these days are very close to genuine, but in many situations there are still inaccuracies and flaws, which is quite common for this hobby. I find that it is not difficult to build a more accurate watch by combining watches, or building a watch from parts :)

91610-28168.jpg

91610-28169.jpg

91610-28170.jpg

:group: