When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Watchmaker may have goofed...but did I win?

Justasgood

I ordered a Twin lock crown and tube for my vintage 5512. I have a 702 crown but gave up trying to find a tube. So I thought I would try to source a 700(original to the 5512/5513 of the early 60's) crown and tube to replace the modern 703 set.

When I picked up the parts, my watchmaker handed me a tube and crown but the package of the tube reads 24-7000. ( the crown was loose and un packaged although new).

Any idea what I have?

Is this correct for the early 60's 5512/5513's?

Thanks in advance,

Kurt.

But if the watch is gen-powered (1520/1570), then I would certainly consider it.

Even for a gen caliber based frankenwatch, I would not use a NOS pair like what K has. If I had a used 24-7000 tube in good shape, I'd consider using that paired with a new 700 crown, but a tube NOS in the pack is simply worth too much to use for a franken.

I mostly agree with Ubi, assuming the project watch is ETA-powered. But if the watch is gen-powered (1520/1570), then I would certainly consider it. I have a couple that I plan to use on my gen-powered 5514 & 1665 when I do the next overhaul.

If anyone is interested, moelarrycu has 1 for sale right now.

Thanks Freddy. I would only use it on my 5512....(remember the TZ post) ;)

However, I wear the snot out of it and if the value of the twin lock is as high as a couple $100, I would just as soon stick with the Triplock 24-703.

I hate to say this, but I think you may have a brand new aftermarket Twinlock.

The gen should have striations around the bottom edge of the crown as you see here

Crown looks okay to me. These old crowns had a top layer of thick foil wrapping the actual crown. Those are the striations that you see- The foil where it is pressed and 'sealed' to the crown. Underneath is a solid SS crown complete with the coronet, etc.

I know this to be 100% the case as I had coaxed ziggy into unwrapping one of his some time back a few years ago, mostly to see what was underneath. Thankfully, 24-700 crowns are easier to find than the tubes.

Crown looks okay to me. These old crowns had a top layer of thick foil wrapping the actual crown. Those are the striations that you see- The foil where it is pressed and 'sealed' to the crown. Underneath is a solid SS crown complete with the coronet, etc.

I know this to be 100% the case as I had coaxed The Zigmeister into unwrapping one of his some time back a few years ago, mostly to see what was underneath. Thankfully, 24-700 crowns are easier to find than the tubes.

It is definately a foil wrap and I also have seen a TZ member unwrap a few for the heck of it.

I feel comfortable in my watchmaker's assesment but I will entertain all expert opinion.