When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

2006 Daytona

bluespower

I might suggest that we somehow again try to track the reliablility of this new, improved 7750 in this forum. We know the old 7750's are quite prone to failure. If I recall properly from a prior poll, something like 50% were not funtional within the first 6 months. We are starting to find this new movement in other brands as well, Breitling, etc.

My personal experience: My Daytona with the new, improved 7750 arrived dead from the dealer earlier this year. Entirely new movement was installed, serviced, and has worked fine since. So far I am happy but when I wear it I always put my lucky rabbits foot in my pocket right next to my four leaf clover, and I keep my fingers crossed as well.

@JJ: Re-read the review again. Ziggy says there's nothing wrong with the movement itself (despite poor oiling), but those 11 extra gears (that makes the seconds at 6 functional in Daytonas) cause the movement to fail. It's the same problem, even if you install genuine ETA Valjoux 7750 there. ;)

@JJ: Re-read the review again. The Zigmeister says there's nothing wrong with the movement itself (despite poor oiling), but those 11 extra gears (that makes the seconds at 6 functional in Daytonas) cause the movement to fail. It's the same problem, even if you install genuine ETA Valjoux 7750 there. ;)

Yes, The Zigmeister says its a fine movement save the extra drain by the additional power train, well understood by all. The point I attemped to make is this; just how reliable is this new, improved movement? Again the old 7750 life expectancy is less than 50% at six months. This information we have previously collated. We have yet to benchmark the new, improved 7750. Is it straight out of the box also 50% at six month life expectancy, or is it much longer? I suspect it is in fact longer but by how much? We have not yet had this movement a full year. The life expectancy of a particular movement is quite valuable information to any member considering a watch purchase. The 7750 may still be the most risky purchase of our currently available movements, in particular the seconds at 6:00 model.

Yes, Ziggy says its a fine movement save the extra drain by the additional power train, well understood by all. The point I attemped to make is this; just how reliable is this new, improved movement? Again the old 7750 life expectancy is less than 50% at six months. This information we have previously collated. We have yet to benchmark the new, improved 7750. Is it straight out of the box also 50% at six month life expectancy, or is it much longer? I suspect it is in fact longer but by how much? We have not yet had this movement a full year. The life expectancy of a particular movement is quite valuable information to any member considering a watch purchase. The 7750 may still be the most risky purchase of our currently available movements, in particular the seconds at 6:00 model.

I remember the poll you posted to the old RWG but I kinda suspect its accuracy. I think many people who don't even own a 7750-based watch just voted "broken" because they've heard it's a questionable movement.

What veteran members tell about 7750 doesn't really go well with the poll results. Many have had problems but not even nearly as much as those results suggested.

And you're right about the new 7750. Ziggy only have experience from the "extra gear" Daytona. According to Z oiling increases the friction, and the extra gear version didn't have any oil because in order to get the whole movement even functioning it required absolutely MINIMAL friction. So that could be the reason for the dry movement. We can only hope that the _standard_ new 7750's are better lubricated. If they are I suspect we're doomed to buy LOTS of new watches. :thumbsupsmileyanim:

Edited by By-Tor

I remember the poll you posted to the old RWG but I kinda suspect its accuracy.

Hello By_Thor,

Not my poll, tho I paid close attention to it. It was the only somewhat semi-scientific poll ever done on the issue. I agree, you are probably correct about the inaccuracy of the study. Tho we do know the movement is unreliable as testified to by The Zigmeister and all the repairs he has told us about.

I have never purchased the old 7750 just because of polls like this and bitter statements made by members at our old 'hood, RWG.

Yes, we shall all purchase more and more watches to decide this issue. What a grant experiment.

So far mine is a thumbs up on the Daytona style new, improved 7750, may it always keep ticking.

I have the exact same model as Ubiquitous posted, its a beauty.