When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Vintage Rolex - Otto and Fritz f**k up again!

docblackrock

Did a double take on THIS interesting lot....

A standard '70 1680 Sub, with that synonymous T127 thick and massively-magnified cyclops, and then I see it.....

An almost perfect Mk II 1665 DRSD dial :o:wub:

Seller is, as expected, claiming it's super-rare, unique etc (which it may well be) and the implication from the description and illegible Rolex papers, is that the RSC attempted to recall/replace the incorrect dial but the original buyer (shrewdly) refused. Fair enough, but I wonder in that case how that particular DW got in there considering the age of the watch? Hmmmm :g:

However, if these papers stack up then this is akin to those stamps that go out with imagers printed upside down, a manufacturing error - I wonder if that equates to $90k (about a $75k premium over the 'stock' 1680 underneath)?

Thoughts gentlemen?

2c3f1ig5.jpg

As I recall, the folks at VFR pretty much said no way!

Too bad the papers are so blury.

Well I wouldn't necessarily take their opinion as gospel. I'd be interested to know if those blurry pics add up to something or not - wouldn't surprise me if one of our Genevan friends 'Otto' or 'Fritz' bodged the job and fitted an incorrect dial.

I saw this as well, but immediately dismissed it because the auction has all the hallmarks of a crooked deal (unsubstantiated 'one-of-a-kind' story, distant or blurry pics, seller with poor sales history (mostly/all private sales), etc). Add to that VRF's similar conclusions & I just hope Rolex's attorneys find this before it gets sold.

Service document is dated 2002!

WTF?

More than likely, (perhaps, I'm still a noob!) someone just put in this dial and when it got serviced at rolex, (in 2002) they offered to put the correct dial back in it.

Owner refused.

This seller had multiple pics of different watches for an LV watch.

I do not buy this seller...

Interesting to me considering that the dial of a 1665 is too big for a 1680!

Interesting Ubi, most interesting. I have no experience whatsoever with 1680s so I had no idea.

Putting aside the fact the seller is likely dodgy then, how did what looks to be a legit 2-3k Mk II DRSD dial physically end up in that case? Would he really be so stupid to trim it down and render it worthless? But then I suppose he had a lot to gain. But at this level, such claimed provenance you would expect to be scrutinised surely, so I still don't get the thought behind a fraud like this? Hoping for a buyer with more money than sense I suppose.