When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Iphone

edgematic

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I have just bought a 2G Iphone 4GB ($250)

This one:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...em=290281404257

Now I just have to wait for an answer of the seller.

How should I let it ship? Via USPS with insurance or with DHL?

What's the best price-quality?

Best regards!

I have just bought a 2G Iphone 4GB ($250)

This one:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...em=290281404257

Now I just have to wait for an answer of the seller.

How should I let it ship? Via USPS with insurance or with DHL?

What's the best price-quality?

Best regards!

I have to admit, the price is high for a 4GB phone, as TT said above, 4GB is available for $99...

Other than that, it looks to be in reasonable condition, and I'm sure you'll be very happy with it as a phone (I certainly wouldn't be without mine now I've got it)

With regards shipping, I guess the answer to that question is: How quickly do you want it? ;)

I have to admit, the price is high for a 4GB phone, as TT said above, 4GB is available for $99...

Other than that, it looks to be in reasonable condition, and I'm sure you'll be very happy with it as a phone (I certainly wouldn't be without mine now I've got it)

With regards shipping, I guess the answer to that question is: How quickly do you want it? ;)

Well, the wal mart thing is not sure yet... And I couldn't wait that long. Also, it will probably be an Iphone + contract...

About the shipping, I asked the seller to send it with USPS Express Mail International. Would that be a good bet?

Well, the wal mart thing is not sure yet... And I couldn't wait that long. Also, it will probably be an Iphone + contract...

About the shipping, I asked the seller to send it with USPS Express Mail International. Would that be a good bet?

Ah, I have to admit, I thought TT's comment meant they were already on sale, so that was my misunderstanding... I was also basing the price on what I'd paid for mine... Admitedly, it was an exceptionally lucky find, but, I paid about

Ah, I have to admit, I thought TT's comment meant they were already on sale, so that was my misunderstanding... I was also basing the price on what I'd paid for mine... Admitedly, it was an exceptionally lucky find, but, I paid about

Wow, that is indeed an exceptional lucky find, hehe, especially when you've bought it in the EU... I immediately bought the phone because prices around here are just crazy... You're unable to find a good looking Iphone under $385, so that's why I think I made the deal...

Well, for now I'm happy with the deal, and what concerns my music, I'll use the ipod on the iphone, though I have an Ipod too, so when I'm in a long need of music, I'll just use that...

I hope the shipping is well and I don't have to deal with the customs (taxes!)...

I have to admit, it was an incredibly lucky find. My wife has recently been looking for one as well, as she's so impressed with mine, but we just couldn't find any where the deals were as good. I think the time of year doesn't help either.

I'm not too sure how customs fees might apply, but I couldn't see there being a problem, as it is a pre-owned item, rather than a brand-new item being purchassed :)

Sure you can. You just won't be carrying as many videos as you'd like.

Right. And you can use applications like Simplify to stream your music over the cell or wifi connection so the space isn't as much of an issue as it is with standard media players

Customs fees apply on all imports.

Well yes, technically they do apply on all imports, but the fees are not universally charged for.

I've ordered a lot of stuff off the net and abroad over the past decade, and in only two instances, have I actually had to pay a customs fee. That's less than 1% of my foreign transactions, so it's hardly as if customs fees are actually applied on all imports... HMC is little more than a sanctioned protection racket. "We got your stuff, and if you want it, you gotta give us a cut..." ;)

Well yes, technically they do apply on all imports, but the fees are not universally charged for.

I've ordered a lot of stuff off the net and abroad over the past decade, and in only two instances, have I actually had to pay a customs fee. That's less than 1% of my foreign transactions, so it's hardly as if customs fees are actually applied on all imports... HMC is little more than a sanctioned protection racket. "We got your stuff, and if you want it, you gotta give us a cut..." ;)

but you are from the UK, your customs are lazy. In some other countries they arn't (and they are definitely not stupid!)

Not in my case.

I think the maximum limit for a gift is arouund 20GBP (which is worth even less than it was a few months ago, 1euro almost equals 1GBP... not that long ago it was 1GBP = 1.45 euro). I've been taxed on ANYTHING declared above the 20GBP. I've tried refusing to pay after getting the item but then they threaten legal action which I couldn't be bothered to fight for 10-20GBP.

So in my case, they aren't lazy....

What they don't tend to do is open up the package and check that the value corresponds to what you're receiving... I'm sure in some cases they could make a case for a higher value item being mispriced.

but you are from the UK, your customs are lazy. In some other countries they arn't (and they are definitely not stupid!)

I wouldn't go so far as to say UK customs are 'lazy', just somewhat 'indiscriminate' in how they apply customs charges on goods :lol: In the past, I've only had to pay their fees on a robe, and a box of soft-toys (two different consignments years apart, and shipped to different addresses) My father in law had to pay customs duty on a modified digital camera even though it was exempt (due to scientific use, or some such) but the way the scam works here, is that HMCustoms send the invoice. If the person doesn't act quickly enough and tell them to shove it, then ParcelForce will 'pay the release fee' and deliver the goods, but then demand the payment for the goods, leaving the buyer pretty much forced to pay it, where of course, if they tell HMCustoms to shove it and return the package, they lose the goods (that time) but avoid the fee. The thing is, as above, they are indiscriminate about applying the charge, so even if the exact same goods are re-shipped to the same person at the same address, chances are it will pass through customs without incurring the charge... That's part of the thing that gets me. Okay, I find it annoying enough that customs are charging duty on products purchased outside the UK, but the thing which really galls me, is the indiscriminate way in which they apply the charges. Either they apply to everyone (which they do) so everyone pays them, or, they don't apply at all, and no one should have to pay them... Crazy situation, but of course, it's not going to change :lol:

It's not a scam. Tax exemption means you can claim it back.

Yes, you can claim it back, but, as before, the issue is that Parcel Force pay the release fee 'on your behalf', requiring the buyer to pay them to get the goods. At least with customs, if responded to quickly enough, it is a case of telling them to shove it and the goods getting returned. What Parcel Force do, is little more than spitting on your windscreen at the traffic lights, then charging you for cleaning it off ;) As above, what gets me, is that the customs charges are not automatically applied to each and every parcel entering the country, just the parcels unlucky enough to actually get the attention :lol:

Yes, you can claim it back, but, as before, the issue is that Parcel Force pay the release fee 'on your behalf', requiring the buyer to pay them to get the goods. At least with customs, if responded to quickly enough, it is a case of telling them to shove it and the goods getting returned. What Parcel Force do, is little more than spitting on your windscreen at the traffic lights, then charging you for cleaning it off ;) As above, what gets me, is that the customs charges are not automatically applied to each and every parcel entering the country, just the parcels unlucky enough to actually get the attention :lol:

You're missing one point: Tax is due on the item. You can reclaim it later, but it is due now.

It's more like the hobo paying your toll fee across a bridge for you then claiming it off you, if you insist on the hobo analogy.

If you're hoping it sneaks through customs, you're gaming the system and as such should expect to have to pay what you owe once in a while.