When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

how strong are upo reps

dazr32

as the title suggests

how well made are reps compared to gens, they look like they will come apart easily with some of the things i have read on here. such as bezel loosening and falling off due to inferior glue being used. also how much do they cost as i cant seem to find a price on any. does the black wear on the surround or is it quite robust, sorry for all the questions but just trying to get as much info as possible to work out wether to go rep or gen. thanks

The bezel is not going to fall off, nor will the paint wear off with normal wear. I managed to bang mine into a door creating a scratch in the bezel paint and metal underneath, but I don't think the gen would have done any better under those circumstances. The fact that I don't care is a pretty good argument for buying the fake instead.

Side by side you can spot the fake pretty quickly; it's a nice watch but has a few well-documented flaws (pearl position, Omega logo, poor AR, poor lume).

The bracelet is one of it's strong points; it's very well made.

Be aware, the "swiss" movement in the newer $250 Planet Ocean Big Size is not made in Switzerland. I suspect that goes for pretty much all current reps; when sources of cheap ETA movements dried up, the rep factories decided to use a little Chinese magic and keep selling them for top dollar even though they don't exist.

The word "swiss", when uttered by a dealer of Asian knockoffs, roughly translates to "better quality" and has nothing to do with country of origin. Good luck.

The bezel is not going to fall off, nor will the paint wear off with normal wear. I managed to bang mine into a door creating a scratch in the bezel paint and metal underneath, but I don't think the gen would have done any better under those circumstances. the fact that I don't care is a pretty good argument for buying the fake instead.

Be aware, the "swiss" movement in the newer $250 Planet Ocean Big Size is not made in Switzerland. I suspect that goes for pretty much all current reps; when sources of cheap ETA movements dried up, the rep factories decided to use a little Chinese magic and keep selling them for top dollar even though they don't exist.

The word "swiss", when uttered by a dealer of Asian knockoffs, roughly translates to "better quality" and has nothing to do with country of origin. Good luck.

are the "cheap movements" ok for keeping time and reliability, and are they automatic or battery.

Well, mine is only a couple of months old and is my daily beater. It seems to be holding up just as good as any quality watch should. You're going to be hard pressed to find a stronger bracelet.

I paid for a swiss ETA version, and have verified that it is a true swiss ETA 2824. The 2824 is a well documented movement that sells in watches for many times the price of a UPO.

Fixing a crown tube is pretty easy.

Getting a chief double AR (which is better than the gen) is pretty easy.

Both are far cheaper than getting a gen.

If you're going to actually wear it, think about having a scratched up $3k watch in 2 years instead of $2500 in the bank for your next rep.

There is no wrong answer, this is just my opinion.

The inserts DO pop out, especially in water. The crowns strip frequently. My PO's have been my most troublesome watches.

I guess I've been lucky with my crown, but I heard they were easy to strip and I've always been careful to make sure mine was properly seated before I tightened it. It also helps that I only had to unscrew it a few times in the past year--the watch keeps great time!

As for the bezel, I didn't know there was a problem. If mine ever falls off that will be a perfect excuse to mod one from Ofrei to fit.

I got mine relumed, serviced, bezel put back on ( only fault i.m.o ) and had the silix logo put on, oh and replaced the bracelet after damaging it which was my fault entirely. Double A/R next! :D But enough of mine, get one, you will have a great watch.

I got mine relumed, serviced, bezel put back on ( only fault i.m.o ) and had the silix logo put on, oh and replaced the bracelet after damaging it which was my fault entirely. Double A/R next! :D But enough of mine, get one, you will have a great watch.

i take it by relumed you mean it glows in the dark like a gen? all in all including purchasing the watch (from which dealer) how much did your modding come to please mate, god i sound a right dork on this site at the moment.

As has been said the bracelet on these is a ripper. I reckon you would spend a cpl of hundred to get this as close as possible. By that I meen AR, new insert/pearl and a lume job. From memory the lume on a UPO ain't too bad as reps go, brighter that a lot of 'em but a good dose of superlumninova will allways be an improvement.

Chieftang for AR HERE

Several members will do lume, depends where you are who would be best. No doubt whoever does the lume can do the insert , a crown tube and chk/ajust the MVT for you. Since it's basicly the same MVT (asuming you get a ETA) as the gen reliaibilty is not a problem. Even my Asian 21J Noob keeps good time (+ about 6 sec a day, just outside of COSSOC) and an ETA should be around the same as gen (less than 5sec a day).

You can also but the gen dial for these from Otto Frei so as long as you buy the correct model you can have that installed as well if you like. Even with the gen dial and a new crown for under a grand you have a watch that's all most identical to the gen and just as reliable. With a decent crown tube I'm shure there is no reasom this cound not be water proofed to 50-100 meters. Anyone done a proofing job on these yet fellas?

Col.

Since you shouldn't take reps near water, the glue shouldn't be an issue. The main weakness s the skinny winder stem.

C'mon, bro, live a little :lol: I've never had an issue with water resistance on any of my Planet Ocean or Seamaster reps. Heck, I just dunked the X-33 I got from Silix, and it didn't flood :lol: To be honest, the only time I have had an issue of water resistance, is when there's been a definite manufacturing flaw with a watch (which the identical replacement did not suffer from) or when I didn't secure the case back completely myself...

On topic, I'd say the Planet Ocean is a pretty robust watch, but I probably wouldn't pay the extra dollars to get the 'ultimate' version. Unless someone plans on trying to pass the watch off as gen, with someone who knows the tells of the Planet Oceans, an Asian Planet Ocean can be worn without attracting the "Is that real?" question, looks like a nice watch (which it is) and keeps pretty good time too ;)

i take it by relumed you mean it glows in the dark like a gen? all in all including purchasing the watch (from which dealer) how much did your modding come to please mate, god i sound a right dork on this site at the moment.

Less than

Just make sure you get it from a dealer that do QC. Sucks to send it back due to bad dial etc etc... Goes for all watches though ;)

reading through all the different threads, i see a lot of people put a lot of time and effort into the reps, but by the time they have purchased the watch and done all the mod work they are maybe