When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Black Steel .. Scratch resistant ~Yes It Is!

lanikai

Damn that gen dial looks so sweet, the cut of the numerals is so perfect and sharp :D

It's the one small area where the replica lacks I feel....

actually whilst working on the review we got the dials mixed up.. as it was very hard to tell the two.. :)

blacksteel011zn2.jpg

I have to admit- The WM9 16622 was paid for LONG ago... Like over 6 months ago :) But I know I can certainly imagine how excited they'll be when they open that box up to find something as sparkly and shiney as a yachtie rep!

BTW... Before you let that gen go, maybe you can do a 1:1 side by side comparo for grins?

SIX months ago my friend? Why that's practically a gestation period :D (pity that dial project we hoped for never happened, but much as I'd love your new YM too, the exchange rate is a bit of a pinch right now).

As for BS pics, well as Lani says, I recently sent him about 7 or 8 or so various angles etc. (I have a few more) for Part Deux of his/Andrew's review. Re. comparison pics, well I'll see what I can rustle up, depending on when my rep arrives. However, please bear in mind I'm pulling 20-hour days at the moment, not to mention another all-nighter tonight before catching a flight tomorrow lunchtime, then back next week for 24 hrs before heading off to see family for Christmas. I'm frickin' exhausted to be honest, but if I get the chance over the holidays, before I part with the gen, I'll do all I can to snap a few head-to-heads with my new Leica compact that I've yet to christen. Just in case, I'll send Lani the rest of the pics I promised.

SIX months ago my friend? Why that's practically a gestation period :D (pity that dial project we hoped for never happened, but much as I'd love your new YM too, the exchange rate is a bit of a pinch right now).

As for BS pics, well as Lani says, I recently sent him about 7 or 8 or so various angles etc. (I have a few more) for Part Deux of his/Andrew's review. Re. comparison pics, well I'll see what I can rustle up, depending on when my rep arrives. However, please bear in mind I'm pulling 20-hour days at the moment, not to mention another all-nighter tonight before catching a flight tomorrow lunchtime, then back next week for 24 hrs before heading off to see family for Christmas. I'm frickin' exhausted to be honest, but if I get the chance over the holidays, before I part with the gen, I'll do all I can to snap a few head-to-heads with my new Leica compact that I've yet to christen. Just in case, I'll send Lani the rest of the pics I promised.

Yikes! Hope you get some restful relaxation during the Holidays, S! No need to worry about new pics- Sounds like you've got enough on your plate as is!

As for the YM... Bought and paid in full back in June. Sort of a leap of faith, as I had no idea when that watch would be done, or how the end product would look. Hopefully I'll have that one in hand soon.

:)

I have to say.... The more I look at these Blacksteel pics, the more I find myself smitten. That's a very handsome watch indeed!

Is it me or the rep pearl stand out more than on the gen? The lume part looks wider. Maybe its not in person but on picture i can always spot the gen just by looking at the pearl... even on the super-ultimage-mega rep.

But i could be wrong...

Edited by s.dupere

Is it me or the rep pearl stand out more than on the gen? The lume part looks wider. Maybe its not in person but on picture i can always spot the gen just by looking at the pearl... even on the super-ultimage-mega rep.

But i could be wrong...

No your right .. (according to the pic).. but the pic is affected by the lighting .. so yes and No.. to your question.. the lighting adds a big variance to pics.. but the pearl is correct .. I could take the pic in different angles and different lighting and it will look to be a different size everytime..

But what you are seeing that is true.. is the genuine lume is sunken a little more and there is a little thicker pexi cover on the genuine pearl

hank7502 Posted Today, 02:49 PM

That kind of thing always happens to me within one day of wearing a new watch. I can go through the house a thousand times. No bumps. As soon as I'm wearing a new watch I'm like a bull in a china shop!

:lol: ... so ture.. so true !!

I think not is DLC. I have three watches that are DLC and no have any scratch.

Mine skyland blacksteel in the back beetwen has little scracth and has a mini scrath in the bezel. I think these week relume and give DLC coating. The problem is if i get same color.

I have a watch that give DLC coating and after i compare the color beetween both.

Please look the back of the watch and see if have scratch in the (asas, sorry i don

Hi all,

I just tested my black steel by scratching it against my ring 2 times and my GF's metal bangle 1 time.

No mark at all.

Whether is it DLC I don't really care as the coating is indeed durable.

Regards,

Tosh

I too tried to scratch the DLC finish on my watch. Not exactly scientific, but when I changed the strap I took the tip of the wrist pin tool and tried to leave a scratch by running the tip across the inside of one of the lugs. I used enough pressure that it would have certainly scratched the normal Rep Stainless Steel finish and it did not. I did not have the heart to try again by pressing even harder, but suffice to say, I was happy that the tool did not leave the slightest hint of a scratch!

Edited by jake48