When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Black Steel .. Scratch resistant ~Yes It Is!

lanikai

This was not a test.. scientific or otherwise.. it was by the simplest terms .. an accidental "FU" that had a happy ending..

This morning I went to a Pharmacy section of a Store @6am to pick up .. "Titanium Cream" something new on the market that quickens recovery of strains.. or in my case recovery from heavy lifting.. anyway, back on point..

I was wearing my Black Steel .. and had a diet soda in my left hand .. so I'm walking through an isle that I have been through many times.. just before I take a turn (left) around the corner of the isle .. I switch the drink I'm holding in my left hand to my right.. and at the same time I am turning the corner I am bringing down my left arm to my side .. as I make the turn, with my left arm moving in a downward motion .. I hear and feel a (sickening ) metal to metal thud~ ..and feel the impact around the 10 to 11 markers on my watch.. I made mention of the time I was at the store.. this is the time that clerks are restocking the items on the shelves and have their merchandise "carts" out. so obviously .. what is normally not in the isles where this morning

In the split second that all of this happened the message to my brain .. was... "I really screwed up", and damaged my case.. I was so sure because of the impact and noise ... the case was definitely damaged.. I picked up my arm in disgust (at myself) ................ there was nothing.. not even a scratch.. I was grateful and confused at the same time.. (mostly grateful) .. I looked at the cart.. it was nothing but metal.. no soft rubber or plastic..

I kept looking at the watch for another 30 minutes.. off and on.... thinking that there has to be something.. since the sound and feeling to my arm on impact was enough to scratch a SS case..

I came home and put a loupe on to look at the bezel ... there is very small ding on the edge of the bezel .. but it did not affect the DLC .. nor can you tell without a loupe

And as I said the force was dramatic.. so yes it is scratch "resistant" I would venture to say a little tougher than just scratch resistant.. B)

i had a similar experience getting out of my suv the other day. i took off my seat-belt and was stepping out of the vehicle as i removed my arm through the belt. my blacksteel hit the edge of the metal post between the doors very hard and i thought the same thing. the only scratch was to my suv ... thanks god. not a mark to the blacksteel. two good experiences from two good members. ok, maybe not the best members. lol.

i had a similar experience getting out of my suv the other day. i took off my seat-belt and was stepping out of the vehicle as i removed my arm through the belt. my blacksteel hit the edge of the metal post between the doors very hard and i thought the same thing. the only scratch was to my suv ... thanks god. not a mark to the blacksteel. two good experiences from two good members. ok, maybe not the best members. lol.

EH, speak for yourself, one out of 2 at least.. .. <_< ... :D ... seriously .. it is what it say's it is.. B)

lani you are giving me nothing but good reasons to buy one of these... damn you...

Well, the dial can and will be improved ... relume and repainting the chrono hands.. but there would have been no getting around the case (DLC coating) .. and that in and of itself makes this one a must .. I am seeing different shades and textures .. before the sun comes up to when it sets,all different looks to the case.. I am really unable to keep from looking at the DLC .. it's like the first time you wear a crystal with AR.. ya just cannot help but look.. again and again.. :D

Well, the dial can and will be improved ... relume and repainting the chrono hands.. but there would have been no getting around the case (DLC coating) .. and that in and of itself makes this one a must .. I am seeing different shades and textures .. before the sun comes up to when it sets,all different looks to the case.. I am really unable to keep from looking at the DLC .. it's like the first time you wear a crystal with AR.. ya just cannot help but look.. again and again.. :D

AARRRRGGGH...must resist Blacksteel...MUST!!!

Great to hear about that coating. I could feel your pain post-scratch. I did the same thing to a gen Rollie...2 days after getting a new crystal installed...except mine didn't have a happy ending...back to Rolex for servicing.

Reminder to self....

Must not listen to Lani. Must not buy blacksteel. Must not listen to Lani. Must not buy blacksteel. Must not listen to Lani. Must not buy blacksteel.

:lol:

Actually that's a good thing !!.. leaves the wrist checks mo original .. :)

hmmm, how about an ingy with chief are and DLC... one can dream...

as for the black steel, I hope they dont screw up the DLC in the V2.

Thanks for the amazing review lani.

Thank you urabus.. good to see U posting !! :D

The Review was a "community review" .. for the community.. :) it was different and fun andrew and dave123.. and of course DBR's invaluable explanation of the DLC coating..

can't wait to see the SA Black Steel.. funny how it may make the watch look bigger instead of smaller with the darker colour.. this coating is simply amazing as far as astetics .. I like the gunmetal matte look.. sooo Coool ! B)

Damn, R; that's a close call!

Wish I could pick up one of these beauties now, but alas, all of my funds have gone into spoiling the kiddoes for X-Mas!

Damn...

:D .... To see the look of Joy on childrens faces makes everything in the world seem right R!!! .. The memories of Christmas as a child stay's with you for a lifetime

That is something you will cherish too.. the most joy as a parent is "seeing" and experiencing X-mas as a Family .. you are the lucky one R..

To you and yours R....have a very safe and blessed Holiday Season !!

ps. yah.. that was a close one I'm keeping my arm up high until I get some rythym back in the universe.. B)

PAM1A Posted Today, 01:05 AM

Reading that makes me feal sad... my BS was seized by customs 5 days ago.....now I have to wait for a re-shipment....I hate waiting

....aaarrhhhh and my new DeepSea came D.O.A. no good news for me this week.

Theo

AHHH... Shoot !!!.. sorry to hear that Theo !! OK .. so I hope everything is clear sailing from here for you !!

I'll try and get a macro pic of the area that would have been greatly damamged had it been SS...

Oh lani.... you know, most people would just go "Huh, that's cool, no dent"

You just HADDD to post about it so we'll all buy the Blacksteel eh? Man, some people just too nice :p

But seriously, thanks for taking one for the team and reporting back! (Same to you wheaton)

Big R,

Thanks for the very kind words! Indeed... I feel blessed every day when I see my munchkins and their smiling faces! They are my world, and they keep me inspired to work hard and be the best person I can be.

None the less... Having a Blacksteel would still be very nice :) But such things can wait and I think I can be patient :)

BTW- I think you'll need to adapt to doing the WIS walk from now on- Tucking the arm behind your back as you walk along walls, corners, etc.

:)

Happy Holidays and Merry Christmas to you and your family!

Cheers and all the best,

R

Damn, R; that's a close call!

Wish I could pick up one of these beauties now, but alas, all of my funds have gone into spoiling the kiddoes for X-Mas!

Damn...

Ahhh, that's so sweet, just think of the look on their little faces when they open up........a WM9 Yachtie ;):D

My Blacksteel is en route (finally), and my gen about to be flipped, mwahaha.....thanks for confirming our suspicions Lani, even if it nearly gave you some sort of infarct.

BTW- I think you'll need to adapt to doing the WIS walk from now on- Tucking the arm behind your back as you walk along walls, corners, etc.

:lol: you have to sport a pained expression as if in deep scientific thought, whilst staring down at the floor and both arms behind your back....

....otherwise you might look a bit...ahem.....well, a bit like an "orange leather PO or Leopard Daytona" owner :whistling:

Ahhh, that's so sweet, just think of the look on their little faces when they open up........a WM9 Yachtie ;):D

My Blacksteel is en route (finally), and my gen about to be flipped, mwahaha.....thanks for confirming our suspicions Lani, even if it nearly gave you some sort of infarct.

I have to admit- The WM9 16622 was paid for LONG ago... Like over 6 months ago :) But I know I can certainly imagine how excited they'll be when they open that box up to find something as sparkly and shiney as a yachtie rep!

BTW... Before you let that gen go, maybe you can do a 1:1 side by side comparo for grins?

Actually DBR.. sent me these pics after his camera gave out.. so it was done with his iphone .. it is for the BS part II.. I have been waiting for another members pics .. he said he has the genuine.... but he has vanished..

ergo the reason that part II is delayed.. but here is DBR's gen.. let me find one of mine that has somewhat the same angle..

I am unable to get these at the same angle.. I will have to reshoot the rep.. as DBR's are in natural lighting .. but given the same settings the rep will match perfectly.. uploading more.. hold 1

dbr4ex4.png

blacksteel052cp7.jpg

blacksteel019ow7.jpg

dbr1rh6.png

blacksteel030tq9.jpg